Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ok to let LO drop a feeding

Default Ok to let LO drop a feeding

Well, I have posted a few messages over the past 5 days because I was concerned that my LO was skipping 1 of his normal feedings. He is 4 1/2 months old (weighed 7'4" at birth and 16 lbs. at 4 month appointment 2 weeks ago). I'm pretty sure he knows when he is or isn't hungry and if I try to feed him when he isn't hungry or is very tired he just screams until I stop. So I just wanted to get some reassurance that it is ok if he drops 1 of his usual feedings. He was nursing at 6 am, 9am, 12, 3pm, 5pm and 7 pm (or around each of these times) and then sleeping from 8pm to 6am without waking up to nurse. The past 5 days he has either skipped the 5pm or 7pm feeding. Is it ok for him to only nurse 5-6 times in 24 hours as long as he's wetting 5+ diapers (usually completely drenched and heavy) and 1+ stools per day? I'm just paranoid because LC's always say 8+ feedings per day, but I demand feed and this is what he demands. Thanks to all in advance!

Default Re: Ok to let LO drop a feeding

i think it's perfectly normal. my lo used to have that exact same pattern. he does wake at least once a night now, but still only eats 5-7 times in a day.
    keep up the great work momma!

Default Re: Ok to let LO drop a feeding

I would say you're fine... my first dd was on the identical schedule which she set for herself! Good luck and you're doing great!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008