Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blisters on baby's lips

Question Blisters on baby's lips

I have been using a sheild with my two week old due to my flat nipples and my baby's extra-short frenulum. I noticed today that my baby's poor lips are covered in white spots that look like blisters. Especially on his top lip in the middle there is a large one. Is this normal?

Default Re: Blisters on baby's lips

Quote Originally Posted by elfry1
    I have been using a sheild with my two week old due to my flat nipples and my baby's extra-short frenulum. I noticed today that my baby's poor lips are covered in white spots that look like blisters. Especially on his top lip in the middle there is a large one. Is this normal?
    Yes, it's normal. Nursing blisters are caused by vigorous sucking. They appear as a blister on the center of the top lip. It may be swollen and your baby's lips will be chapped. My little one had several in the early weeks, both on the top and bottom lip. They don't cause your newborn any pain and will disappear within a few weeks. (It was really kind of gross when the huge piece of skin fell off her precious little lips!)

But it could mean something is wrong with your baby's latch I believe.

When your baby is latched on and nursing, both of his/her lips should be turned outward ...almost like an open mouth pucker. If his/her lips are turned inward, and you cannot see their lips, that may be the cause of any blistering, because of friction from sucking against your nipple (possibly made worse with the shield on).

Check out:
    Latching and Positioning Resources

Also check out LLL's page:
    Nipple Shields . . . Friend or Foe?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Default Re: Blisters on baby's lips

my babies all had funny looking blisters on there lips when they were a few days old.
    could be thrush? Are they like white patches?
    heres a link about thrush? ARe your nipples sore?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun93p83.html