Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question(s) about future night weaning..

Default Question(s) about future night weaning..

Ali will be a year old on the 28th of this month. We've been breastfeeding for almost a whole year!

Ali still wakes up 2 and 3 times a night to nurse, which is fine and I don't mind getting up with her. She sleeps in her own crib and she falls asleep without having to be nursed to sleep. A few nights ago, my DH tried comforting her for 30 minutes when she woke up. She was crying, pushing him away, wouldn't calm down when he tried rocking her, singing to her, and I felt horrible. Any other time she wants her Daddy and not me. It hurt his feelings when she wouldn't take to him like she does me. Once I picked her up she stopped crying and wanted to nurse. I would love for my DH to help with Ali when she wakes in the middle of the night, but when are you supposed to cut down on the night time nursings? I've read that she'll let me know on her own. Is this true? I think a lot of it is a comfort thing and I don't mind giving her what she wants. She doesn't take a pacifier and doesn't suck her thumb.

Last night she fell asleep around 8:30 and woke up at 11:00. I tried giving her water in a sippie cup and she kept pushing it away and crying hysterically until I nursed her. We nursed for 10 minutes or so and she went back to sleep until 4:30am, we nursed, went back to sleep, she woke up again at 6:30am, we nursed and went back to sleep and she was up for good at 8:15am.

I don't mind nursing before naps and bedtime, but was wondering about all these night time feedings. Any advice is appreciated!

SAHM to Ali born on Memorial Day, May 28, 2007
    3 weeks early and weighed 6 pounds 6 ounces
    Ali weighs 17 pounds 10 ounces at 12.5 months old

Default Re: Question(s) about future night weaning..

I'll just share what we did

My DS was about the same, waking about 3 + times to nurse after about 12midnight until 6am. It was for comfort. When he was about 15 months old we tried to night wean (using this teqnique) and it didn't work. I knew the 1st night I tried it was a no-go. We waitied until 18 mo and it worked that time

Some babies are better equipped to go w/o night nursing sooner than others But I think as long as they're nursing, they probably aren't going to gather much comfort from anyone other than mom for that time. There will be a transition and there will come a time DH can sooth her.. just not yet
    Hang in there
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.