Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if she wakes I have to feed her

Default if she wakes I have to feed her

I had been to a place called "The Family Centre" they help mums who are having feeding and or sleeping problems with their baby.

I went there cause of issues with my supply ,,all sorted now..but the lady there said if my daughter wakes at 4am to see if I can stretch out her feed til 5am then the next morning 5am etc.

except if she wakes I feed i have to fed her no matter what time it is I figure I would rather feed her at 4am and she sleeps till 7am rather than leave her and have her cry for 30 minutes and keep my husband awake.

Default Re: if she wakes I have to feed her

why did she say to try and strech feedings? are u yourself concerned that she wakes at 4 for a feed or do u see it as a problem yourself?

My son the last few nights has been going down at 9pm (was at least midnight all the months before so fingers crossed) and sleep till 8 am..his last awake feed is 8 30 pm..then last night he fed at 11 pm (when i went up to bed) 2.30 am...4.45 am then 8.30 am...we were up around 8.10 am. I suppose he is feeding at least 3 times in the night..sometimes it is 4 as he will occ have a feed around 6am ish..also...but then the first morning one is around 9 am..then in the day he feeds every 1.5-2 hrs..occ 3.... Luckily for me he has always been a good feeder and feeds in 10 mins and goes straight back down....the only time i dont feed him is if it is less than 2 hours since his last feed in the night..then i will rock his crib if he stirs and he goes back to sleep...i suppose he does feed a lot in the night...but it is quicker tbh to feed him (he feeds asleep also once he is on the boob) than to as u say deal with a baby who is fussing and not going back to sleep...and i figure he must be hungry as as soon as i go to latch him on he goes straight one and feeds very well....Lucas has never been one for comfort sucking at the breast..unless he is hungry he isnt interested ...even if he falls asleep while feeding..he will feed till he full then come off...and i will try the other side..and that little mouth refuses to open..he just open one eye..gives me a look..clamps his mouth shut for a second..then falls back asleep... so i know when he wakes in night he is waking for a feed.
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

how old is baby?
    What about weight gain?

ARe you seperated alot during the day?

Lots of babies still need night feeds long after doctors think they do.
    crying is a late hunger sign and once most babies start going they are not going to get a good feed in.

Does it bother you to feed baby?
    If it doesn't I wouldn't change a thing.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp

this is a great link from dr sears:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070700.asp

If your current daytime or nighttime routine is not working for you, think about what changes you can make in yourself and your lifestyle that will make it easier for you to meet your baby's needs. This is a better approach than immediately trying to change your baby. After all, you can control your own reactions to a situation. You can't control how your baby reacts. Use discernment about advice that promises a sleep-through-the-night more convenient baby, as these programs involve the risk of creating a distance between you and your baby and undermining the mutual trust between parent and child

shes 5 months old..I have her full time so not separated at all during the day.

I guess I just enjoy feeding her and it feels special that no one else but me can feed her (milk) and I believe it has helped me bond with her a lot.

she is about 15lbs so about average her age. she feeds about 6 times a day.

that young I would feed here when ever she asked.
    like I said if its not bothering you then no need to change it.
    if you took a poll of real moms you would find that most babies don't sleep all night untill they are much older then 5 months old.
    Heck my 4 year old gets up sometimes during the night to go and pee and get a drink.

Sounds like it's working for your family, so there's no need to change anything. DS always woke during the night pretty frequently, then after gradually there were fewer wakings, now at 27 months, he's sleeping a 6-8 hour stretch with little encouragement from me. In our family, sleep for everyone was the top priority, and nursing back to sleep was how we got it, so we let DS outgrow it on his own.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

My DD is about the same age as yours and my ped told me at her 4 mo appt to try and cut out night feedings. Um, I thought about it and decided not to push it. She will usually go about 6-8 hours and then up to eat and back to sleep for a few hours. Sometimes she wakes up more often but I always nurse her when she wakes. Is she hungry everytime she wakes? Probably not but nursing is comforting to her and at this point I am OK with that. Do what works best for you and baby. When Dr asks at her 6 mo appt whether she is still waking at night I will probably just say no so I don't get a lecture on how he thinks I should parent.

Mom to Lucy born 11/28/07

, at home and , at work

DD2 is almost 6 months and I still nurse her every time she wakes up, which is 3-4x's every night.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I would continue to feed on demand for at least the first year.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I agree with pp. I nurse my 6 month old through the night. Usually she wakes 3-4 times. It is fine with me, so I see no need to try and stress myself and her over it. I would do what works for you and your LO. Good Luck!