Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: low supply due to returning periods????

Question low supply due to returning periods????

Hi there everyone

I copntinued to have spottings till say 6 weeks after i gave birth to my baby girl. Was off 1 week and now have dark colored spottings and my supply of milk seems to have dwindled considerably!!!!!I read in this fiorum that mestruation and milk supply levels have a connection and was wonderinf=g if iam going thru that?????

Would periods return as early as 8 weeks when ebf???

What shud i do??? i read about calcium / magnesium supplements to reinstate supply.

Pls help.

Default Re: low supply due to returning periods????

It's not common for periods to return that quickly when breastfeeding, but it can happen. My periods returned at 12 weeks postpartum, and I had never gone more than 5 hours between feedings (and that only rarely -- my son mostly nursed every 2 hours during the day and slept 3-4 hours at night.)

I will also gently point out that if your baby has been getting even one bottle of formula a day, you have not been exclusively breastfeeding, and thus may have lost some protection against the early return of your fertility.

I don't know about calcium/magnesium supplements, so I hope someone else can advise you about that. The main key to re-establishing a good milk supply is to nurse nurse nurse -- supply and demand.

--Rebecca