Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When I start more solids how much to nurse?

Default When I start more solids how much to nurse?

I am so confused on this issue and wish there was one way to do this but I see there isn't. DS is almost 6m and has been eating rice cereal for a few weeks. Sometimes he wants it others he doesn't so I go with it. But my problem is knowing when to nurse him or for dh to give a bottle of exbm. Ds no longer gives solid cues for hunger. I feel like I am always just trying to feed him since he will either nurse good or awful these days and I worry about keeping his weight up. I will add that he is way ready for something new based on the list of what to look fors. I am going to wait until 6m to introduce veggies. Can anyone tell me what I should expect on bf and if he is going 4 hours or so between nursing should I pump to keep up the supply? Thanks.......

Default Re: When I start more solids how much to nurse?

Hi there Keep in mind that there's no hard and fast rules regarding solid foods. During the first year of life, breastmilk should make up the majority of your baby's diet as anything else besides breastmilk is nutritionally inferior (and your breastmilk has more calories anyhow). Ideally you should nurse baby first, offer a few teaspoons of solid foods and then offer to nurse again. Really though, you probably won't go wrong if you just ensure that the solid foods aren't taking the place of any breastmilk. If you do that then there's probably no reason to pump even if he is going 4 hours between feedings. You may want to offer to nurse him more often than that and if he refuses then no biggie. Of course you want to monitor his wet diaper output and watch him for signs of not getting enough breastmilk.

I wouldn't be too worried about his solid food intake. Offering solid foods at 6months is merely a guideline and certainly not necessary. You know your baby best -- if he's not showing a real interest in solid foods then there's no reason to continue giving them. You can always try again in a few weeks

HTH!

Thanks Carol. My boy showed an interest some weeks ago and is good size for is age and gaining but slow. Or really right on track for a bf baby. I always offer the breast first unless I just offer cereal inbetween meals as an extra and he always wants to nurse even if he ate cereal. I just am trying to imagine a time line like 7a-bf, 9a-cereal, 11a bf, 1p solid you get the idea. But I guess like you said there are no rules. i will try with just a bit and see if he is interested when I start him. I do want to bf primarily as long as possible the first year.

I tried solids when my daughter was almost 6 months. She took to it very well, so I decided to work up a schedule. Then, she refused solids and would not touch them again until 9 months. I say go with your baby. He will let you know what he wants.

When I gave cereal to my son when he was 6 months old, it really filled up his tummy and he cut down drastically on nursing. So I just stopped it and gave it to him only once in the night. I am really confused about this cereal thing but thats the only solid he likes other than yogurt even at 9 mo...Sigh...

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

If you are concerned about nursing enough, since he's clearly not eating solids for nutrition, nurse first and then offer solids... or offer a bottle of EBM and then offer solids. You can then be sure that he is getting all of the nutrition that he truly needs. At this age, solids are really about getting to know texture anyway, so be sure that you are nursing enough.

Jacqui

Question Re: When I start more solids how much to nurse?

I had a similar question. I just started my 6 m.o. on solids a few days ago. When I wait over an hour after I nurse her to give them to her, she eats a lot, but I think that's replacing a feeding, which I know you're not supposed to do. If I wait under an hour, she only eats a few bites though. She's very big and healthy, so I'm not worried about her getting enough nutrition. I guess I don't understand how you con avoid replacing a breastfeeding w/ solids. If she was eating enough breastmilk to fill her up, wouldn't she need less breastmilk if she's eating solids, too?

Thanks,
    Jennifer

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Literally, you shouldn't wait between a nursing session and then feeding solids. It was recommended to me that you nurse and then right away try the solids.

Also, remember that as your child gets older and nurses less, the concentration of all the good stuff in your milk gets higher.. so, they may nurse less, but your milk is more concentrated to accomodate.

Jacqui

Jacqui thanks for the information regarding the nutrition of bm as the baby ages. I am worried too as he seems to be only nursing 6-8 times now opposed to the 10-12 I was used to. I always offer both sides since I have never been an overproducer and he takes them. I change sides when he pulls off. To me it doesn't seem like he is getting enough. He went overnight from eating every 2 hours to every 4. What I usually do is nurse and then about 45 min later offer cereal. The past three days he has turned his nose up at it. I make it with formula so not to keep wasting my precious saved up exbm. If I know he is going to eat then I make him more and use the exbm. He now wakes 2x instead of every 2 hours so that is nice.

How many times a day ladies does your chid nurse? What signs of hunger do you look for? DS doesn't give me clues anymore so I just put him there and if he isn't hungry he stares away. There must be an easier way.

Kelly

CSpengler - I have no idea why your ped would be adamant about weaning at 12 months. If your baby is uninterested in solid foods then it would be unreasonable to remove her one and only food source. Besides, breast milk is going to have more fat and calories than any solid food you can give her. A baby derives benefits from nursing no matter how long they nurse. This site isn't approved by LLL but it's got some really great information on the benefits of extended nursing http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-refs.html. Also check out the references - there's some LLL-approved sources there.

The American Academy of Pediatricians (AAP) recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months of life with continued nursing for at least 12 months. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years.

You know your baby best -- how do you feel she's doing?