Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mastitis-when will my fever break?

Default mastitis-when will my fever break?

I have a fever of 103.6 even after taking both tylenol and ibuprofen. I was prescibed Ceflex and have taken 2 doses already. Those who have had similar experience, how long did it take for the antibiotics to kick in?

Default Re: mastitis-when will my fever break?

When I took antibiotics I felt better within 12 hours. But the most reliable cure for me has been a HOT compresses directly on the infected part of the breast. As hot as I can stand for as long as I can stand. And then hand expressing the gunk (slowly pressing from the back to the front especially on the hard bits) out of my breast in a hot shower.

I was getting mastitis every few days at first, now I hit it with a hot compress at the first sign of trouble, and it hasn't progressed to anything worse since then.

Hope you feel better soon! I know it sure feels crappy!

I had the WORST case of mastitis a few months ago and I had a really high fever too. It took 3 whole doses of antibiotics for my fever to at least respond to the advil and 2 days on antibiotics for the fever to actually break. It was the worst fever I have ever had and left me exhausted afterwards. I had chills so bad that my neck ached after my fever finally came down.

I hope that you hang in there! It's bad but worth it.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

most antibo. can take anywhere up to 24 hrs to be effective! Feel better!! I had it too! rough!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!