Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Won't Breastfeed

Default Baby Won't Breastfeed

Breastfeeding has been hard for me since day one. For the first 4 weeks, feeding my baby was extrememly painful, so I went to see a LC and I found out that my baby had thrush. As soon as that was fixed, I found out that my baby wasn't gaining enough wait and that my milk supply was low. I have tried everything in the book to increase my milk supply, but it doesn't seem like anything is working. I returned to work part time 3 weeks ago, so I had to give my baby a bottle. Just this past week my baby started to push me away when I tried to breastfeed. I don't know what to do. When I am home with him I try to do as much skin to skin as possible and offer him the breast as often as possible, but he just cries. He gets really upset and it is breaking my heart. I am not with him for two days each week because I work, so I have to give him the bottle. I don't want to give up breastfeeding, but I am about to. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

Default Re: Baby Won't Breastfeed

http://http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html this site helped me with a lot of problems i was having with dd. HTH & good luck!

Thank you for the reference. I am not going to give up feeding him. For now I have been pumping and feeding him with a bottle. Should I continue to do this, or do you think that there is a better way to feed him (spoon feeding, syringe)? It is quite noticable that my milk supply is going down. I hope that my baby will go back to the breast soon. I have done so much to get to this point and I don't want to give up now. To be honest with you, I am surprised that I have made it this far. It is just so frustrating when he pushes me way when I try to feed him.

You are doing a beautiful job mama! Kudos to you for sticking with it thus far and providing such a wonderful gift to your baby. It is not an easy thing to do when faced with so many obstacles. Have you tried contacting your local La Leche League Leader? They will probably be able to help you much better than we can on line. Here is the link to find one in your area:

How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

And also, LLL has a terrific page on what you are going through and how to get your baby back to the breast:

My Baby Is Suddenly Refusing to Nurse.
    My Newborn has never really gotten the hang of nursing. How can I get him back to the breast?

Please let us know how things progress for you.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

bf'ng is not always easy, that is for sure. i think you and your LO WILL get through this. you mentioned you just started going BTW and from what i have heard and read, nursing strikes are very common when baby is separated from you longer than what he is used to. i'm sure if you are persistent and patient your LO will come back to nursing happily. offer the breast often, but act like it will not bother you if he does not take it. if he protests, just move on and offer it again in a little bit. i use this when dd acts hungry but is too distracted to nurse, the more i fight with her, the harder she fights back and we both end up in tears ... hang in there mommy, you are doing fine!

Smile Re: Baby Won't Breastfeed

I wish that I found this forum months ago! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support while I am going through this with my baby. The past few days I have been doing a lot of skin to skin and offering the breast whenever he showed signs of being hungry. If he started to pull away, then I just told him that it was ok and that we would try later. I didn't want to force him to do something that he didn't want to do. I just stayed patient with him.

Well, yesterday morning I tried to feed him and he latched on! I was so amazed and excited that I started to cry! For one whole week he didn't breastfeed during the day. I didn't realize how much I love nursing my baby until yesterday. We had a few struggles today, but he is getting so much better. Thank you so much for the references and support that you gave me. My goal is the bf my baby until he is one year, and if he wants to nurse longer, then so be it. I didn't realize how much closer I feel to my baby when he is nursing. It is the most amazing thing that I have ever experienced!

Thanks again .

i am so happy to hear things are better for you and your LO. i decided to throw in the towel at 2.5 weeks and mixed up formula but dd wouldn't take it. i tried for almost two days but finally decided to go back to BF. WOW! what a difference. i felt so much closer to her and was so happy i didn't quit. we still have our bumps in the road and she still fights me on occasion (tonight for example) but i love her for refusing the formula! hope your situation continues to improve. keep me posted.