Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Arching back- crying after feed - holding breath!

Default Arching back- crying after feed - holding breath!

Hi there - just wondering whether anyone else has experienced the above? When I'm feeding my LO, he will come off the breast and when I sit him up to wind him he starts to cry/scream and arch his back with so much force that sometimes I'm scared he'll fly out of my arms!

He'll then cry when he burps and his wind is sticky white milk which he refuses to let out of his mouth and just swallows it back down!

he seems to be OK if I hold him over my shoulder and rub his back but this doesn't bring up any wind. I do this for about 30mins after feeding him and when I lay him down he near enough always brings up curdled milk.

Does anyone else experience this and if so, any tips??
    Thank you x

Also, he brought up curdled milk today and held his breath because he was gagging on it - scared the hell out of me. Does anyone have this problem or was it a one off (I called the hospital and they said it was probably because he choked on his vomit and it went down the wrong hole...I've to keep my eye on him and take him in if he does it again).

P.s wasn't going to mention the holding breath part because I'm scared of any replies which are negative (I told my husband we need to take shifts for the next week watching him while he sleeps!!!!! - it didn't get the best response!) - I am the biggest worrier in the world and will end up camping out at A&E!!!!
    Last edited by jacq; May 7th, 2008 at 02:34 PM.

Default Re: Arching back- crying after feed - holding breath!

Is he holding his breath because he's crying?

That's actually fairly normal, I have a breath holder! Does he have problems with gas or anything? Usually if you sit them up, rub their back for a minute and they don't burp no biggie.
    It's possible that the spit up is just a little extra in the tummy, how old is your baby? Sometimes laying them on their side if they have a lot of problems with spit up might help.

I understand your fear, sometimes LO's do things to scare the pants off us!

sounds to me like he may have reflux. many babies with reflux will arch their backs during or after a feedings as the acid irritating and painful. ds has reflux and stopped breathing once. it is the scariest thing in yhe world because you cant do anything to help them. try putting your lo to sleep on his side so if he does spit up, its less likely he will choke again.

you may want to see if eliminating anything from your diet helps the spitting up and irritability. i know when i keep dairy out of my diet, ds spits up a lot less.

if he seems to be in a lot of pain and eliminating foods from your diet isn't helping, tell your dr. often times they will prescribe an antacid for your lo if its really bad.

He's only held his breath once which was today. It was after he had chucked up, kinda like when you take a drink and some goes down your wind pipe. You end up either coughing or you have to hold your breath while you regulate again (!!) - if that makes sense? it scared me so much though cause he's so little and I had to blow on his face to get him out of his trance......

....he's 9 weeks old and has never really had a problem with wind until now. and it's not at every feed, only sometimes (mostly at night)....do I grin and bear it??

thank you - I might take him to the docs and see if they can do anything although they have told me "that's what babies do and some are worse than others" !!

can I ask what DS means?

I was going to suggest reflux as well.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Sometimes I can get a burp and other times I can't. If I don't get a burp, usually there is some spit up later. I was so worried about choking, I used a wedge and had LO sleep on her side for the first couple of months. (Make sure it's okay with your pedi first).

As for the arching, if you don't think its just a burp, I would do some research on reflux and see if any sounds familiar. Here's a good start: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

HTH!

thanks guys - i've been winding my babe through-out the feed today and even though he's a little miserable about it, the wind is much better x

Really sounds like reflux to me. You may want to check out the website www.reflux.org.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo