Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning -- not taking formula -- HELP!!!

Default Weaning -- not taking formula -- HELP!!!

Okay, I'm freaking out right now and I don't know where else to turn. My DD is 10 months and 90% weaned. I used my expressed frozen breast milk to suppliment as I dropped feeding from the breast. Now my freezer supply is down to 2 bags and I started her on formula. Well she won't take it - she hates it. I tried 5 different kinds too. So I took 1 of my last bags, defrosted it and used 1/2 of it combined with 3 oz of formula. She took some of it; better then before when it was all formula. I'll continue to do this for another couple of feedings until the breast milk is gone. But THEN what???
    Anyone have a similar experience? ALL advice welcome. Thank you!!

Default Re: Weaning -- not taking formula -- HELP!!!

My DS won't take formula or milk at all. He has been in daycare since 12 months and will only drink juice/water when I am not around. Otherwise its booby milk only.
    I have no advice at all. I am curious to hear what others suggest.
    Good luck with the transition. I hope you find something that will work for your DD.

If I remember your post from yesterday correctly, you were having second thoughts about weaning. Is that still the case? If so, just try nursing your baby as frequently as possible. You may not have as much BM as she wants, but it's better than nothing if she absolutely refuses the formula.

Hang in there!!!!

(I don't mean to sound as if I am pressuring you into "un-weaning"- if you're ready to wean, just ignore what I wrote.)

Yup - I was hoping to turn back and bring my supply back up. But she showed very little interest in nursing today. I just think it's time. Thank you for your post regarding my weaning questions!

What flow nipple were you using on the bottles? Maybe he got used to the fast flow. It may take some work, but if it is what you want and think that it is best for the both of you, don't give up so easily.

Have you tried using a Breastflow bottle? I've heard a lot of moms (particularly on WebMD) say that they had more success with that bottle when switching to formula.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Pump your milk - and mix.

Let's say your LO will take 5 ozs. Then start with 3 oz of breast milk and 2 oz of formula (mix formula/water in sperat bottle) then mix the two in one bottle and let the baby drink. Do this for a few days then move to 2oz breast milk and 3 oz of formula.

good luck

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long