Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Adult allergy medicine?

Default Adult allergy medicine?

Hi all, I think for the 1st time in my life i am suffering from allergies - I have checked plenty of websites online and they say that taking something like clariton can dry me up. I have supply issues as it is - any suggestions? I was just going to use a nasal spray today to see if that helps.

your thoughts?

Default Re: Adult allergy medicine?

I have taken Claritin occasionally and been ok, but not sure if you take it consistently. Of course, everyone's different too. Keep in mind, sometimes the nasal sprays have stronger stuff in them than the pills. For ex, I could take Claritin while pregnant, but no nasal sprays except pure saline.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

This is a helpful link about illness. Clicking on Antihistimines should have the info you're after. I guess I'm just going to stick with Benadryl for my itchy, red, watery eyes (HORRIBLE!) even though it makes me very sleepy.

HTH!

I've taken Clairitin on several occasions and it's been fine.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

From the information contained in the Kellymom chart, it appears that both Zyrtec and Claritin are preferred over Benedryl since they are non-sedating. Both are Lactation Risk Category L2 (safer).

Please discuss the use of any medications with your health care provider. If they don't know what is safe, suggest they search Lactmed or Medications and Mothers' Milk.

I have taken both regularly and they have not affected my milk. Mostly you have to remember to drink plenty of water while on them. I found for me that Zyrtec works better for me (both kids are also on zyrtec otherwise they look like they have been crying for hours with red puffy eyes and sneezing).
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

Thank you all so much. Hope everyone else makes it thru allergy season !

It's the decongestant that dries you out so if you want claratin just don't use the Claratin-D