Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: my daughter weaned! (I think...)

Default my daughter weaned! (I think...)

I just wanted to share... My daughter, who is 3 yrs and 8 months old, has now not nursed for 3 days. For a few months now, she's been down to one nurse first thing in the morning. Recently it had been starting to really hurt, I think because I had hardly any milk left. So I started complaining about it to her (not exaggerating, but just being honest that it didn't feel good to me any more). For a long time we've been doing a count down (I count down from five, each side); recently I've made the "five minutes" into more like five seconds, because it hurt! But for a while, even tho' there was clearly not a lot of milk in there, she still wanted to nurse, even for a little while; and I figured I'd let her & put up with it for a little while, as long as it still seemed worth it to her. But now, for the last three days, she hasn't nursed even in the morning. She still asks, "Can I cuddle Noony (my breast), because she's so cute?". So we cuddle instead, and she seems happy with that. I think it was the right time for both of us. I'm glad I didn't force her to quit nursing before she was ready. Even so, she has been more clingy recently, even before finally quitting; she doesn't want to say goodbye to me when it's time for her to go to nursery, even tho' that had been pretty easy for her for a while. I think it's probably normal; she needs some extra love, it's a big change. And in fact, I feel more clingy to her too! Fortunately its the end of the school year, so we can spend extra time together. Anyway, goodbye, everybody, and good luck with your nursing!

Default Re: my daughter weaned! (I think...)

What a beautiful weaning story!!! I hope my daughter will wean as gracefully. Good job, Mama!!!

oh that is sweet! You did a great job nursing her that long.

thanks for sharing, it feels so good to hear happy weaning stories, and reassuring that children do eventually wean!