Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply Back Up In One Day?

Default Supply Back Up In One Day?

Yikes!
    So, I thought I was doing well since supply had dropped a little. Yesterday I shortened the block feeds, since supply was at the perfect level. LO nursed very frequently yesterday, either from growth spurt or this teething mess.
    He slept through the night. I get up and both breasts are huge again! Can my supply go back up to where it was that quickly?!

Default Re: Supply Back Up In One Day?

How were things throughout the day?

How long had it been since you last nursed?

Yesterday during the day I had to pump a little to keep things under control. I had not had to do that for a few days. It had been about 8 hrs since he nursed.
    Now today, things are better - more like what I am looking for - really full, but not painfully engorged. LO slept about 8 1/2 hours.
    Can production fluctuate from day to day for no reason?

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherZ View Post
    Yesterday during the day I had to pump a little to keep things under control. I had not had to do that for a few days. It had been about 8 hrs since he nursed.
    Now today, things are better - more like what I am looking for - really full, but not painfully engorged. LO slept about 8 1/2 hours.
    Can production fluctuate from day to day for no reason?
    Yes and no. Production can and does fluctuate from day to day, but there is normally a reason, such as baby nursing more, growth spurt, etc.
    Many women do find that they have to nurse on only one side at a time for the duration of the BF relationship, to keep a handle on supply. I found this to be more convenient though.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherZ View Post
    Can my supply go back up to where it was that quickly?!
    Short answer, Yes.

Those of us with a sensitive or hair trigger on our milk production need very little encouragement to bounce back up to maximum speed.

Milk production hormone fluctuations during the day alter our ability to produce milk at specific times of day, as well as menstraul cycle hormones affecting our ability during specific times of the month.