Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Maintaining milk supply

Default Maintaining milk supply

Hi ladies,

My son has been sick for a couple of days now and even though I try to feed him frequently I feel like he isn't drinking a whole lot. I'm worried that my supply will go down -should I purchase fenugreek or mother's milk tea? Will that alone help or do I need to be constantly pumping -I'm so lazy about this so knowing how important it is will help me prioritize.

Also, any ideas on getting my son to eat better will help. He's normally a good eater but now that he doesn't feel so good he gets really fussy and doesn't want to eat. He def. not wetting many diapers and I don't want to get him dehydrated but when he latches on it seems to be more comfort sucking than eating. And when we try to offer him his bottle or syringe feed him he refuses. Last night, we even tried to let him drink out of a straw by making it seem like we were drinking from it too - I guess he's just too clever.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: Maintaining milk supply

I think it's the demand from pumping or lo nursing that helps most maintain supply. The other supplements, might increase it, but if it doesn't go anywhere, your body still may compensate and adjust accordingly. Although, if it's a really short bout of sickness, I'm not sure how quickly your supply would be affected. I'd say pumping a bit couldn't hurt, just to be on the safe side. I'm with you on the lazy pumping thing, but you shouldn't have to do it long, Hopefully your lo will be feeling better very soon.

Thanks. It really is too bad we cant see the milk coming out for times like this because lately when he does latch on I can't tell whether he is nursing or just sucking. He isn't showing doing any of the things he usually does when he is eating because to me it's really obvious when he is eating, especially during letdown.
    Last edited by jaki.my.ny; May 7th, 2008 at 10:55 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

my LO occassionally gives me trouble about wanting to eat. As long as she is happy and wetting through the day I consider it okay. I usually pump extra and drink 3 cups of mothers milk tea. It works for me. After a few days she is back to normal, and my supply is okay and ready for her. Good luck!

I would try expressing to maintain your milk supply until your little one is feeling better and feeding as normal. hope your little one is better soon