Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sleeping through the night?

Question sleeping through the night?

Everyone at work keeps asking me if my son (9 months) is sleeping through the night. When I tell them he still gets up 1-2 times/night to nurse, they act as if that is ridiculous and make suggestions, like giving him formula before bed, or letting him cry, etc. Are all the other 9 month babies sleeping through? Is it wrong to still nurse him at night? Should I be doing some sleep training? I'm a little confused about this whole thing.

Default Re: sleeping through the night?

You are definitley not the only one! Mine's 23 months old and still gets up 3-5 times per night. Every baby sleeps through on their own schedule. If this is not causing you any problem and your current sleep situation is working just fine for your family then go with it - forget what others say.

helpful link here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/sleep.html

I have a 6 month old and she wakes up every three hours. I had many people tell me she was just eating for comfort, to let her cry. I ignore it! For me, I do not mind nursing through the night, and I will comfort her if need be. Do what makes you and your LO happy. All children are different, so there is no real answer as to when they will sleep through the night. I hear it is not uncommon at all for BF babies to always want to nurse through the night, even just once. I would not stress. Everyone has advice, whether we want it or not. Do what works for YOU!!! Good luck!

My lo is 12 months and she still wakes once a night. FFing or crying won't change who your baby is or meet your babies needs. For some reason people judge our ability to be a good parent on how much our LO sleep at night. Your LO is very normal!!!!! Enjoy as much of those feedings, when it is you and baby and the rest of the world is sleeping. They do sleep throught the night at some point. We all have different needs and be proud that you are meeting your LOs.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

My opinion is that if your sleeping situation is working well for your family, there's no reason to change it. If it is bothering you, then there are some interesting sleep training methods out there. It seems you have to be pretty determined in your quest for changing your baby's sleep habits. I think every book I read stressed me out, so I just quit reading about sleep!!! I was happier when ignoring other peoples opinions.

First of all, I think it is crazy that everyone gauges "a good baby" by if they sleep through the night.
    My LO is 12 weeks, and he does sleep through the night mostly. My MIL was convinced it should have been this way from 6 weeks. I got SO sick of hearing it!!!! It's your baby and your life, if you were unhappy, I am sure you would be trying to change the situation.

A girlfriend of mine that BF has a 10 mth old, he wakes once every night.

MY LO often will wake up at night though if there is any change in his routine, or if he seems to have a growth spurt. If he is hungry, I feed him. There is a reason he is waking to eat!

Who cares what everyone thinks! It will all go by to quickly I am sure, then you will miss those moments!!

My 21mo still wakes many nights. Sometimes to nurse, sometimes not. Night waking at that age is very normal. If it doesn't bother you then its not a problem. When people ask "is he sleeping through the night?", just smile and say "he's sleeping GREAT!" and change the subject.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Personally, I'm so frustrated by people's input on babies "sleeping through the night" I could scream. People's definitions of how many hours "sleeping through the night" means are even different. And it seems like most of them are just itching to give bad advice about feeding cereal or formula or letting them cry and scream as if that's normal or healthy. Sorry for the rant... I also agree with pp, it's about what works for you and your family. If it's not bothering you, it's not hurting the baby, it's perfectly normal and healthy to nurse at night. That kelly mom site is great. www.askdrsears.com is another great site with lots of sleep/nursing info. Most of the time now, when people ask me if my dd STTN, I just say yes, I get less irritated that way.

I agree with above posters! It makes you want to . You are not alone! Sometimes it's just easier to politely nod your head and say well it works for us, I love getting up at night!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

oh, and one more thing to keepin mind, the longer lo goes at night without eating, the more likely you'll get your period back. Maybe that's why people who brag about their kids sleeping through the night can get such an attitude...