Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mostly weaned ... 2nd thoughts now.

Default Mostly weaned ... 2nd thoughts now.

Hi there. My daughter is 10 months and I started to wean her. I droped a feeding every few days. Now I'm down to 1 maybe 2 feedings a day. I'm starting to think maybe I don't want to wean her now. The thought of this beautiful experience ending really makes me sad. Is there any way I can turn back?
    Should I offer her the breast each feeding and then have a back up bottle ready? Until my supply returns (if that is even possible). Cause right now I don't have enough milk to satify her now that my supply is so low.
    Any advice?? If I don't get my original supply back up, can I just continue to offer her the breast in the morning and at night and have enough? Or will the milk just go away eventually?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by C&A's Mommy; May 6th, 2008 at 06:24 PM.

Default Re: Mostly weaned ... 2nd thoughts now.

Yes, you can definitely turn back!!! To start, just offer the breast as often as possible. If you have milk for 1-2 feeding per day, there's milk there at other times. The more often your baby nurses, and the more completely your breasts are drained, the more milk will be made to replace what was taken. Keep that back-up bottle handy for now, but always offer the breast first. Babies suck most enthusiastically and efficiently when they are hungry.

I agree with PP... it's not to late! I would suggest the same, offer breast as often as you can and if LO takes a pacifier try using the breast to comfort instead. You might also post on the low supply or relaction ( even thought you aren't really starting over) to see if you get more replies.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Quote Originally Posted by C&A's Mommy View Post
    Any advice?? If I don't get my original supply back up, can I just continue to offer her the breast in the morning and at night and have enough? Or will the milk just go away eventually?
    I forgot to mention- your milk will not just "go away" unless you wean completely or, possibly, if you get pregnant. Many moms find that their milk supply diminishes significantly or completely during pregnancy. If, for some strange reason, you do not get your supply back (and I truly believe that you will), you can continue to nurse twice a day and feel secure that you are doing a good thing for your baby!

I found mothers milk tea helps when my supply is low. Thought I would share that Good luck!

As you work to build your supply back up, be aware that you will probably need to drink more water. DS went on strike at 17 months and went from nursing 8-10 times a day down to 3-4 for 10 days, then picked back up and so did my supply.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.