Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting baby - help!

Default Biting baby - help!

Hello...I'm breastfeeding a 7 month old with teeth that she likes to clamp. It's just these last couple of days that they've come through and the problem has arisen. I've read all the FAQs and done what all the sites say but she is still biting, I am still taking her off the breast and I am worried that she won't get enough milk (she is wolfing her solids down) and my breast milk supply will diminish.

Does anyone have any extra advice or experience?

I can keep feeding her top ups when she is hungry but she never reaches the hindmilk and doesn't get the fats - her diet is restricted as she is on an allergy-free diet and therefore no cheese or milk or anythng to top up her fats. Will be trying avocado in a few days but need to try some other stuff first to check for allergies...

Default Re: Biting baby - help!

Do you have a pump or can you manually express milk until the situation is corrected? That should help keep your supply up.

Quote Originally Posted by jentut
    Do you have a pump or can you manually express milk until the situation is corrected? That should help keep your supply up.
    Yes, I am pumping. One breast is half the size of the other now and I'm panicking a little. Have called the health visitor, hopefully she'll call me back with some advice today.
    It's a worry cos I want the baby to have enough fluid in this hot weather and feel odd about giving her water when she's not feeding. And when I pump to keep my supply up, nothing is coming out anyway and so I can't feed that back to the baby.
    I'm just not sure how to correct the situation or how long it lasts or if it's just a phase - she is chewing everything else in sight so I don't see why chewing my nipple will just stop - I am doing what the sites say but it just makes her stop feeding.

Jackson had a "biting day" on Monday. Everytime he would try to nurse he would bite me instead. I kept putting him on the floor, saying "No bite!" and walking away. He would get so sad but still try to bite me if I tried to nurse again.

Yesterday he nursed fine (I did give him EBM at lunch at the mall b/c I was afraid of him biting me in public!) and so far we are off to a good start...

Does your baby nurse during the night at all?

I think we're getting there!

First, I spoke to a health visitor who ignored what I asked and said, 'er, you baby isn't feeding because it's hot, drop a feed and introduce a cup of juice' - which was odd and very random. I didn't waste any time on the phone to her but asked for the number of a breastfeeding councillor and she was GREAT. She just gave me confidence really and sure enough, my baby is beginning to feed again and without biting - I am so relieved. She has allergies and so formula was not an option and I can't lose my breastmillk. It's been hard to pump cos she cries when I'm not with her playing one to one at the moment, clingy phase, and so to pump it means distress all round.

We are getting there. I await the next 24 hours. xx