Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many ounces should we be at?

Default How many ounces should we be at?

This is my 5th week of work, and I pump. My LO is exclusively BF! What a joy and relief that was to know it would work.
    My question is this.. LO is 15 weeks old, and he seems to be taking in the same amount of milk daily for the past few weeks, with no "big increase." I'm still making him 4 ounce bottles, and he still takes most of them, or leaves some. I feed him at lunch from my breast. Should he be making the big leap to these huge 10 ounce bottles? Or will this not occur until I introduce solids into his diet one day? His weight gain is good; I'm just curious when they begin to take in more milk because they are getting older and growing more??
    We exclusively nurse at night/ on weekends.
    Thanks!!!
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!

Default Re: How many ounces should we be at?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

look at this link

"How much milk do babies need?

Many mothers wonder how much expressed breastmilk they need to have available if they are away from baby.

In exclusively breastfed babies, milk intake increases quickly during the first few weeks of life, then stays about the same between one and six months (though it likely increases short term during growth spurts). Current breastfeeding research does not indicate that breastmilk intake changes with baby's age or weight between one and six months. After six months, breastmilk intake will continue at this same level until -- sometime after six months, depending in baby's intake from other foods -- baby's milk intake begins to decrease gradually (see below).

The research tells us that exclusively breastfed babies take in an average of 25 oz (750 mL) per day between the ages of 1 month and 6 months. Different babies take in different amounts of milk; a typical range of milk intakes is 19-30 oz per day (570-900 mL per day). "
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

Default Re: How many ounces should we be at?

Thank you so much! How helpful
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!