Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to "Fatten" up my DS

Default Trying to "Fatten" up my DS

I'm looking for advice on how to fatten up my son. He's 6.5 months old and LOVES nursing (usually 10 times a day) and eating (usually 3 - 1/2 cup "meals" a day).

At six months he hadn't doubled his birth weight. Last weekend, we were out shopping and a couple with a baby the same age asked me if he was born premature. After I told them he wasn't, they asked what was wrong with him. He's at the 50% for height, but his weight is only at the 10%. Our doctor said I could feed him as much food as he wants as long as I don't cut back on the nursing at all, and I haven't.

His first food was avacado. After trying other fruits and veggies, he decided he didn't like avacado anymore. I can mix it with banana and he'll eat it.

A LLL Leader suggested mixing oils into his food. Has anyone else heard of this? What types of oils? The leader's suggestion was butter, but I want to avoid dairy until 1 year. I'm considering soy or olive oil.

Default Re: Trying to "Fatten" up my DS

It's easier said than done, but I would really try not to worry too much about his percentiles. My son was always in the same boat - 50% for height and 10% for weight. He was always a really good nurser and when he started solids, he didn't look back. He has always eaten just about anything you put in front of him and is a total bottomless pit. Still, he has stayed at 50% for height and 10% for weight. Our doctor has said not to worry... that what is really important is that he is following HIS curve. At 12 months, he was 19.5 pounds. Recently, he has all of a sudden started getting bigger and gained 3 pounds after his 12 month visit and now weighs about 22.5. The bottom line is that he's going to grow at his own pace... just like my son has.

As far foods to fatten him up... we tried everything. Ds never had a problem with dairy in my diet, so I started him on whole milk yogurt at about 7 or 8 months with no problems. By around 9 months, I would also give him little piles of shredded cheese. I also would add some olive oil to whatever vegetable I would mash up for his dinner.

I heard about using olive oil, definitely that would be a much better option than butter.

At least your little one is at 10%...my dd dropped WAY off the charts for her weight...talk about peanut!! I am glad you posted this thread, I've been wanting to 'fatten' up my daughter too...tired of all the 'shes so tiny' 'was she early' 'is she eating good' 'I can't believe how little she is' comments...they do get old don't they!! I agree with the pp's though, he will grow at his own pace, and you can't feed a baby more than they are hungry enough to eat....
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

I've been hearing amazing things about coconut oil and red palm oil. I don't know anything about feeding them to babies...but it might be something to look into!

Thanks ladies, this makes me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by jennyalger
    I am glad you posted this thread, I've been wanting to 'fatten' up my daughter too...tired of all the 'shes so tiny' 'was she early' 'is she eating good' 'I can't believe how little she is' comments...they do get old don't they!!
    It's really pretty rude and juvenille, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by jentut
    Thanks ladies, this makes me feel better.

It's really pretty rude and juvenille, isn't it?
    Yes, it is. I don't know why people feel the need to share with us their opinion on how "too little" or "too large" our babies are. I've found that most of the time they have no clue what they are talking about anyway. My DD is 75-80% (and those charts don't really mean anything to me as long as baby is healthy, gaining and progressing at their normal rate), and I get both sides constantly. She's 7 months old, and people have said, "What is she, about 3 months?" Um, no, 7. "Oh my gosh, she's sooo tiny." Um, no, actually she's not. ..... And then, "She looks like she'll be turning one soon?" Um, no, she's 7 months old. "Oh my! She's huge!!" Whatever. So, I just dismiss all these comments altogether.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

wow, and here I thought I was generally pretty considerate about people's feelings. I have been known to say how tiny a baby is, but its because I think they are so cute! every baby is so different and they all have their own growth curve. i tend to have big fat babies, so I get a lot of the wow, she is bigger than my one year old type comments, but they don't bother me. I am cool with it. anyway, I will try to be more considerate of other's possible feelings. thanks for the reminder!!

Quote Originally Posted by coastieoswife
    wow, and here I thought I was generally pretty considerate about people's feelings. I have been known to say how tiny a baby is, but its because I think they are so cute! every baby is so different and they all have their own growth curve. i tend to have big fat babies, so I get a lot of the wow, she is bigger than my one year old type comments, but they don't bother me. I am cool with it. anyway, I will try to be more considerate of other's possible feelings. thanks for the reminder!!
    I think that most people don't really think about what their comments may sound like to the mom. I'm sure that most of them are well meaning, although I have had some question the fact that *they* think my daughter looks small for her age (which she's not) and think it's because I'm not feeding her any *real* food (as if breast milk is not real food). So some mommies here the "what a tiny baby" comments as "You aren't feeding her enough," or some variation on that. Mabye?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Also keep in mind that those growth charts are based on FF babies in rural Ohio in the 1970's. They are not exactly reflective of the BF infant's growth pattern.