Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: NO! to right breast

Default NO! to right breast

This could just be a freak thing combined with pre-teething behaviors, but my LO for the past two feedings refuses to take the right breast!
    what's up?
    I work, too but this is my 5th week, so i think we are adjusted now.
    it was just so obvious, any thoughts?
    Last edited by newmamma08; May 6th, 2008 at 03:09 PM.
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!

Default Re: NO! to right breast

My son prefers my left breast too. Most of the time I can get him to nurse at least a little bit off of my right breast but he definately has a preference for the left one. I've read from other moms that's it's quite common for babies to have a preference for one over the other.

My friend actually gave in and is only nursing off of one side now. Her other side dried up. I'm trying not to let ds preference go that far.

My daughter prefers the right side. I can get her to occassionally take the left, but not so easliy. I did two things...one, I have her nurse on the left at night-she is too tired to know the difference and two, I found it was a position thing. I am right handed, and hold her easier to the right than the left. I went back to using my boppy for comfort,and she is getting back to eating from the left. Good luck!!

Every now and again my dd rejects one breast, usually the left one. What I do is just position her as though she's on the right and slide her on over to the left so she can be in the position she wants, but suck on the boob that I want.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

My LO is now almost 12 mos. She preffered the Left side for a few months. I had to work really hard to get her to take the Right! I even became lopsided for a while. I just always offered her that breast first, and kept trying until she took it!!! After a while she just got used to both!

Thanks, several good ideas and comforting thoughts. Its official, he doesn't like my right breast!!! Loved it until this week, but I'm going to try what you guys said, I just don't wanna dry up!
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!

My older son preferred my left breast and now my infant seems to also prefer my left breast. I basically decided that my right breast was my "lame" boob because it does not produce as much as the left side. (based on the amount pumped out) I believe that both my boys preferred the left side because they didn't have trouble getting the milk. Perhaps that is also the case with you guys. I try always start him on the badside first (during the day) and then switch him over. I pump the rest out while I'm nursing on the left. During the night, I always seem put him on the left because he gets too fussy on the right side and I'm too tired to struggle.

Wife to Brian, Mother to James 11/28/2005 and Kevin 02/24/2008.

03/06/2008 8 pounds 3 ounces
    03/11/2008 8 pounds 12 ounces
    03/21/2008 9 pounds 12 ounces
    04/08/2008 11 pounds exactly
    05/01/2008 13 pounds 6 ounces
    05/08/2008 14 pounds exactly

Breastfeeding goals:
    2 weeks
    4 weeks
    6 weeks
    2 months
    3 months