Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lower Milk supply after introducing solids

Question Lower Milk supply after introducing solids

Hello everyone,

I have 7 months baby girl and started solid when she was about to become 6 months old, since then I've noticed that my milk supply has decreased. Is it normal? I would like to keep BF until she is 1 year old. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Default Re: Lower Milk supply after introducing solids

How much solids is your baby taking per 24 hours?

About how many wet and poopy diapers is your baby having in 24 hours? How many times does she nurse in 24 hours?

My supply also decreased, but it adjusted accordingly to her needs. If she needs more than the solids are giving her (this will be the case for the next few months) she will nurse more. My DD started cereal at 5.5 months and I got my period back at 6 months pp. My LO eats 4 meals a day drinks 4-6oz. of whole milk and still nurses 3-5 times a day and we just hit the one year mark.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Introducing solids means beginning the weaning process. It doesn't mean that you're destined to wean completely-not by far!

Offer the breast first and then solids within an hour of a nursing session. Breastmilk is baby's primary source of calories, nutrition, fat, etc. for the first year. Solids are just for fun at this point for her to learn tastes and textures and to see if there are any food sensitivities/allergies. If you're worried that she's taking in too little breastmilk, you can cut back/out the solids for a time and get your supply back up. Being on bm alone at her age is not a bad thing at all! Solids should be complimentary only. Six months is the EARLIEST that babies should even try them.

Give-Peas-A-Chance asked some good questions.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

She has several wet diapers and she is pooping everyday up to 3 times a day (she has dome days that does not poop at all). She bf on demand. Whenever she wants my breast it is there for her!!!

I will follow your recommendations about offering the breast before eating solids.

Thanks for your advice!!!

Mary

I increase my milk supply by night feeding. I should say that my baby boy doesn't sleep through the night yet so I feed him at least 4 times during the night. Now I go back to work full time and only pumping at lunch (not much coming out though), my milk supple is still the same.