Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Think I have thrush

Exclamation Think I have thrush

So I looked on the links and it seems that my suddenly painful nipple and achy breast is probably caused by thrust. Do I go to my ob and my baby's ped? I have my 6 week ppd check up Wednesday afternoon (too bad he's not open today or I'd have it moved; I'm miserable). Should I try to take my baby to the ped today or if my ob says I have thrust tomorrow will I be able to just call my ped's office?
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Default Re: Think I have thrush

I'd see what the ob has to say first and then call your pedi to see if they will prescribe something for the babe without a visit. Does she have any symptoms? Start taking probiotics right away.
    I hope that it is not thrush, or if it is that it heals quickly.
    Have you seen Dr. Newman's candida protocol?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Well, after talking to some IRL friends this morning. I think it might be a breast infection rather than thrush.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

are you fealing beter?
    running a fever?

thrush is going to be more the burning pain.
    Cracked nipples?

When I had thrush the pain was burning and was most pronounced in my breast when it was empty, after a feeding. Also, strangely enough, the yeast growth turned out to be secondary to a bacterial infection (this was UGLY) and needed abx treatment anyway.

If it is an infection and you have to take abx, it still might be a good idea to take probiotics.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

What are your symptoms? When do you feel the most pain (during latch on, during feeding, between)? Can you describe how the pain feels?

It started last night as sudden, intense nipple pain. I banged my lo against my breast accidently as I was switching sides and it throbbed with pain. My first thought was "man did I forget to nurse on that side this afternoon?" But no, I wasn't engorged. It killed when she latched. I was wondering if the pain was due to bad latch (we had gone out of town this weekend and without the boppy she had had more difficulty), but then it started to be a deep achy pain shooting through my breast particularly the bottom side of it. The description sounded like thrush but this AM I noticed that I had some red streaking on my breast which is a sign of infection. Also my friend told me that thrush would be itchy - no itch here. The pain has subsided some and now I feel headachey and dragged out. It's possible I have a slight fever, but I doubt it. If I can convince katie to let me put her down I'll see.

EDA: The pain is definatley present between feedings, and for a bit it did seem worse after she fed, but I'm not so clear now on when it's the worse.
    No cracked nipples. And my nipples look great after she's nurse indicating to me at least that she's latching on properly. Also it's only on my right side which isn't the side that she had initially had difficulties with.
    Last edited by @llli*AllNightDQ; May 6th, 2008 at 04:58 PM.

I had a yeast infection in my breast (just an FYI - my OB/GYN didn't know much about that, I ended up taking in my own information about it). Anyway, she gave me medicine for both me and my lo. Then, I just called my ped and told them (making sure they were aware of what meds I was giving my lo and to make sure it was ok - it was )

BTW - the only sympton I had was the pain - no itchiness or anything else that usually accompanies it - so you never know. But, with the redness, I would say that it is probably an infection caused by plugged milk ducts - I have had that too. Both are painful but an infection by a plugged milk duct is quicker to resolve - Drink lots ( and I mean LOTS), and pump after your lo nurses to make sure that the ducts have emptied, and rest as much as you can (I know, easier said than done, but try!).

I hope whatever it is, it clears quickly. to you!

Have had it all and never had any itching with thrush and my LO had no signs of it at first. Do you have any lumps that you can feel? Clogged ducks can be very painful and sometimes can be resolved before mastitis hits. You can have a fever and unbelievable pain. Hot compresses, advil, lots of water, as much rest as possible, and frequent nursing should help if it an infection or clogged duct. Hope all resolves fast... know how you feel and it stinks!
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Definately watch those symptoms. Mastitis can be yucky. This link can help with clogged ducts and mastitis.
    www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html