Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what can this be?

Default what can this be?

i wonder if someoen could help......

i have for the last few days had some breats pain...it is on the right side of right breast.almost on the underside of the breast..it feels just like it is bruised.......there are no lumps there like if it was a blocked duct..itsnt hard or hot to touch or anything.....i did have a feel around there and could feel a small lump that felt like , almost like a small lump of cartilage is the best way i can describe it..and it was quite deep..very tender there and maybe 1cm in size...only small......that was going on a few days and now when ds is feeding my whole breast feels very tender..right to the nipple..it isnt a pain as such and is bearable but tender...but when he isnt feeding i just have the tender bruised feeling on the right side of my right breast .

i have a laptop desk on my righ side of where i sit..and at first i wonderd if i had bruised myselff a bit when i had been leaning against it when on laptop..but i always have a cusion there anyway.......
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

Default Re: what can this be?

First thing I'd say is a blocked duct. I had one before and the same thing - I couldn't feel the lump but then eventually the whole breast was sore. Just incase it wouldn't hurt to treat it like a blocked duct and start putting warm compresses & massage the area. (using a disposable diaper helps keep the warmth in and you want it to be wet warmth) I hope it feels better soon!

And I want to say that clogged ducts are sometimes brought on by underwire bras. When I was newly breastfeeding I would sometimes get to the point where i felt the "bruised feeling" but I would just get out of my bra and then not wear one for a couple of days and it would go away. The best way out of an actually clogged duct is to nurse nurse nurse. Try hot compresses and nursing in the shower as well!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    And I want to say that clogged ducts are sometimes brought on by underwire bras. When I was newly breastfeeding I would sometimes get to the point where i felt the "bruised feeling" but I would just get out of my bra and then not wear one for a couple of days and it would go away. The best way out of an actually clogged duct is to nurse nurse nurse. Try hot compresses and nursing in the shower as well!
    i totally agree, because almost the exact thing happened to me! also try to massage the sore spot while nursing--lightly!

thank you for all your replies...:-)

i noticed something tho at last feed...pain in right side is getting worse with every feed(at the nipple area only)..but i relaises it isnt the actual nipple that is painfull on feeding..it is behind the niplpe..in the breast tissue iykwim????
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start