Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Now that I need more I have less to spare!

Default Now that I need more I have less to spare!

During the first 4 months I had so much milk I had to wear pads constantly to soak up the leaks. My baby is now 6 months and for the past 6-8 weeks my breasts are never full and I never have to wear pads. For over a month my breasts are nothing but small and soft. When my baby feeds, I feel like there is nothing there to give him.

Has my body stopped producing enough milk? I hear my son swallowing initially but it doesn't seem to last long. What happened to my body?

I've fed on demand the entire time and my baby's feeding patterns have not recently changed. I don't understand and I am worried that my son will not receive enough milk especially during this hot summer weather when he needs more fluids than he normally would.

My baby is very interested in cups and reaches for food from our plates so I want to introduce cereal. I purchased the type that you mix with breast milk, but now I am concerned that I cannot spare any milk. What do you think?

Should I buy the cereal that doesn't allow you to choose the milk source but to which you only add water?

How do I get my body to kick back into gear! I'm staying well hydrated, and my diet hasn't changed.
    Thanks for any help...
    Last edited by eener; July 25th, 2006 at 10:05 AM.

Default Re: Now that I need more I have less to spare!

Does he seem satisfied after a feeding? It could just be that your body has adapted to his demand and that's why you no longer have to wear pads. My DD is 5 months and I too no longer have to wear pads. My breasts don't always feel full, except in the morning, but she seems to be satisfied at feedings.

more info...

My baby seems satisfied after a long feeding first thing in the morning when I have more milk (he doesn't nurse during the night). But he never seems satisfied all day long.

He used to feed about every 2 hours, now he tries to snuggle in with an open mouth every chance he gets. I think he's just using me to pacify, but it could also be that he never feels full during the day because I never have enough milk for a good long feeding.

His weight was on the 75 percentile at his 6 month visit.

Though I keep him as cool as I can in this summer heat, his head sweats quite a bit. Should I offer him formula and or water if there's a chance I don't have enough to keep him hydrated all day?
    Last edited by eener; July 25th, 2006 at 10:45 AM.

... 75% makes him sound heavy for a breastfed baby, but he's not. He's lean because he's tall. His height is on the 97th percentile.
    My doctor uses the old formula babies charts.

This all seemed to happen after I had a plugged duct (which cleared before 24 hours) because my baby didn't feed well one night before bed. I woke up early in the morning in pain.

Could this have caused my body to start to shut down milk production? Perhaps my body thought it was producing too much and is trying to avoid further plugged ducts.

Is there anything I can do?

I am pretty sure that it is just a sign that your body has adjusted your milk supply according to your babies needs. As long as you are still getting plenty of wet and poopy diapers it all sounds normal. Here's a couple of links about it...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/normal.html

Quote Originally Posted by eener
    I hear my son swallowing initially but it doesn't seem to last long.
    Babies also get a lot more efficient at draining the breast as they get older, and therefore sometimes spend less time nursing because they can get the milk out much quicker.

If you are concerned about your supply you might want to delay solids for awhile. See:

When should my baby start solids?
    Why Delay Solids?
    Is my baby ready for solid foods?

Dr. Sears on Starting Solids

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I agree that it's probably just your body settling into what your baby eats. Your breasts should regulate themselves at some point. Engorgement isn't normal forever. Just while your body figures out what to give your baby. But also it's too soon to really be trying to pin your child down to set times. There may be a growth spurt going on. If you have always BF on demand keep doing it! If He's rooting around more often feed him more often. You DON'T need to supplement. Doing that will cause your body to produce less than you are now. If your baby needs more nurse more. There are growth spurts, there could be teething pain going on. THey nurse for so many reasons. Nothing you've said sounds like your baby isn't getting what he needs from you. Just the opposite. It sounds like you've found your groove. Trust your body. Trust your baby. You guys are doing great!

I agree. It sounds like your body has just adjusted to your baby's needs.
    At 4 months, my son was reaching for food off my plate too. He was (and still is) a good eater. If you think that your babe is ready for food try him out. I am also a big fan of water. Especially in the summer heat. If he can get him to drink some. Note to you water is really hard to drink and they tend to cough and gag at first. They just need practice. It is really slippery and has no taste so it is difficult for the tongue to manage it. Just keep trying and don't worry.
    You sound like you are doing everything right.
    You also never feel full because he is always there. I had a very very poor supply and had to supplement for the first 4 months, but when my son was 3 months old I had to have surgery. My breasts were so full by the evening that I thought they were going to explode and the nurse said "well of course you are full he's not nursing!"
    Just add water to the cereal if you cant get extra milk.