Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wanted to share relactation success

Default Wanted to share relactation success

I know I haven't been a really active member of this board, but I wanted to share that I have succeeded in relactating for my daughter. She was two weeks old when I stopped breastfeeding, 10 weeks old when I started working on relactating, and 16 weeks old when I stopped having to supplement with formula!

I got a hospital pump and started taking fenugreek and domperidone to assist in the relactation. I only used the hospital pump the first three weeks, but I do think it was critical to the early progression from drops to ounces of milk. I was very lucky to have an eager nurser, so I stopped using the pump because she was nursing so often. I also feel like the domperidone was absolutely critical to my success. I took Reglan first, hated the side effects, and also didn't see a huge improvement. With the domperidone, the effect was almost immediate, and I've experienced no side effects from it.

Now I have to work on weaning off the domperidone. But I am so excited to have a 100% EBF baby in a bit shorter than the time I had stopped breastfeeding. So it is possible -- the hard work is so worth it!!

~Laura

Default Re: Wanted to share relactation success

That's wonderful news, Laura!

Thanks for sharing your story!!

Tiana

That's great. What a wonderful mommy you are

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09