Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My poor baby - painful poop

Default My poor baby - painful poop

I was hoping this problem would go away, but it's been going on for several weeks so here it is:
    Once I started giving solids (about 4-6 weeks ago), the poop changed to harder and less frequent, which made sense to me initially. However, she now only poops every 3-6 days, and it is very painful for her to get it out. In fact, the only way it works is if I take her diaper off and sit with here for several minutes. She cries when it comes out and it is clearly painful.
    She eats mostly fruit (pears, apples, avocados), rice and potatoes, joghurt, and sometimes I let her eat tiny amounts of what we're eating (but again the amounts are very very small). None of the foods are constipating as far as I know. I am going to bring this up at her 8-month checkup but would prefer to solve it without medication.
    When she first had trouble with constipation, I pretty much stopped giving solids for about a week. That seemed to help, but she is very much into eating, plus I like having her at the dinner table and all of us eating together.
    So, I am wondering whether (1) she is not ready for solids (2) I give the wrong foods (3) there is anything else that I could do. Thanks!

Default Re: My poor baby - painful poop

She would not be eating the solids if she was not ready.

We found that pears and plums or pruns have helped our LO. She would strain and push and she even pushed so hard during dinner, she threw up!!

Just keep nursing her, so she gets enough fluids.

HTH
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

I would offer her at least an ounce of water or bm to drink while she eats her solids. My son was having really hard bms and even though it didn't seem to bother him -although he made horrible face - I started giving him some water with his meals and he seems much more comfy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Try water with meals
    cut out the rice unless its brown rice- white rice constipates my lo
    keep up with the fruit and veggies
    try flax seed oil mixed in with applesauce.... Sometimes good fats can help babies poop. ( you can get it at a health food store) it needs to be kept in the fridge. Its a good source of health fats and omegas.
    Or raisins- I know raisins are considered a choking hazard but I cut them in thirds and they also help my lo poop... more so than prunes..

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Thanks for the advice. I usually offer water during meals, but she does not seem to be drinking much. It's more fun to play with the cup! I will try the flaxseed oil and raisins. I've given her prunes today so we will see what happens.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

I'd say to back off the starches like rice and potato for now as they can really get things backed up. If it's infant cereal rice, you can completely forego that and just steam some whole grain rice. It only caused my ds problems to eat the instant infant cereals. The whole grains are great for digestion too. I was told to give it to him for the iron but didn't. I had his iron checked at his nine month check-up and it was just fine!

Avocados and pears really seem to help keep things moving for ds.

Is your baby eating finger foods yet or still eating pureés?

Have you visited this website? www.wholesomebabyfood.com It's awesome!!!!! I can't say enough good things about it.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I agree about the avocados. My son gets constipated with banana by itself for instance, but mixed with avocado he does fine. It really seems to move things along. I'll mix almost anything with it now. It seems to take on the taste of whatever it's mixed with.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Mixing avocados with pear pureé or applesauce were ds's favorite and it kept him regular so nicely!!!!!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Rice was a big constipator for my dd1 initially and continued to be for quite some time.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

She pooped today but it was still painful. I've been giving plenty of avocados from the start, they don't seem to do the trick.
    I will try and cut out the starches - rice was nice because she could play with it herself and every now and then manage to get a corn in her mouth. Maybe later again?
    I need to get a better blender though. I have one of the hand-held ones, but it leaves a lot of lumps in the food. If anyone can recommend one, it would be great (affordable is a plus).