Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am sooo confused!!! Help;)

Default I am sooo confused!!! Help;)

So tomorrow my little one turns 6 months old..I can't believe it, but she does!!! Anyway, I absolutely love breast feeding her and have been doing so since birth. Some of my issues surrounding this new challenge (SOLIDS!!) are as follows: I am definately liking the idea of the baby - led weaning, but I am scared to death of my baby choking?! Is this normal??
    My doctor says what all the traditional books say start with rice cereal..then move to fruit & veggies..one at a time..you know what I'm talking about. So I feel like I am supposed to introduce her to the rice cereal..as soon as tomorrow?! She is content with the BM and doing very well..another fear of mine is that she will wean far too early from my breast?!
    Ok, I will stop babbling..sorry!! PLease I need some experienced beautiful Mama's to help us! Should I go through the motions of what the books/pediatrician say or should I go adventurous with this baby led weaning idea??!!
    I really can't wait to hear from you all..thanks in advance!! Oh, and I have been checking out Kelly Mom's advice about the general stuf already - just so you know! My head aches from all the different and conflicting advice;(

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

Default Re: I am sooo confused!!! Help;)

i suggest watching your baby for cues that she's ready to start solids. these signs include (but are probably not limited to) watching you carefully you when you eat, making 'chewy' mouth movements, grabbing for your food, etc.

Mommies where are you..I need your help

...I'm here!!!

I'm going to bump a couple threads that are a good read on this topic!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I'm not going to rewrite any of the books I have written on CLS ( I hope you read about but know that I did it completely, believe in it completely and while there is some gagging and even puking that goes along with learning to cope with food, that method speaks to the fact that if you let a child bring food to their own mouth when ready, they can be trusted to deal with it and IME that was completely true. I never spoon fed anything, pureed anything, and I never cooked or peeled anything that wouldn't normally be eaten that way. My child was up to 3 meals a day plus two snack before his 1st b-day.

But I really came to say that A. 6months isn't magic. You don't have to start until you actually are seeing all the cues and even then, if there is no actual interest on the part of your child (they don't put any food in their own mouth, than put it away for two more weeks and try again. The best thing about BLS is there is no pressure and no work involved in feeding. (And you don't have to deal with teaching your kid to eat solids later.)

AND I wanted to let you know that MANY of us here skipped rice cereal altogether as there is very little actual nutritional value beyond the iron they add to it,, it's not on LLL list of 1st foods and it's a very processed 1st food.

Also, I would go out to the front of the website and look at the page LLL has on 1st foods. There are plenty of other great resources on this website besides the mother to mother support and the 1st food page is definitely one of them! HTH and happy feeding!

Way too lazy for formula

True dat...we skipped baby cereals!!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Thanks very much for the advice & the bumps

Hi - my DS is almost 6 mos and I have all the same questions. Also, what are "bumps" and where are they?

What are CLS and BLS?

And where is this page about LLL's recommended first foods that people have posted on this thread about?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post
    And where is this page about LLL's recommended first foods that people have posted on this thread about?
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html

BLS=baby led solids

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post
    Hi - my DS is almost 6 mos and I have all the same questions. Also, what are "bumps" and where are they?

What are CLS and BLS?

Thanks!
    Bumps (older discussions)..look under solids heading..
    I'm not liking BLS...&
    Solids when, what, how..
    CLS..child lead weaning..