Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Looking for self-employed mothers to chat

Default Looking for self-employed mothers to chat

Hi, I'm hoping to hear from mothers who are self-employed while breastfeeding their babies/toddlers. I would like to hear about how you came to this decision and what some of the advantages and disadvantages are. I would especially like the perspective of mothers living in the US, Europe or Asia. Please feel free to email me or discuss it here!

Default Re: Looking for self-employed mothers to chat

I am self-employed as a daycare provider. I have worked in daycare before, and when my husband and I decided to try to start a family, I knew that I did not want to put my child in a program.

We do not nurse (we had thrush at 6 weeks and she would never go back on), but I EP.

I see these Moms and Dads drop off their little ones at my center, and I could NEVER imagine doing that with my child. I know that not all Moms have the ability to do what I have done, I gave up my career as a Exercise Physiologist to do this until my kids are in school (whenever that may be!!)
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

I'm not self-employed yet but I am taking distance courses while staying home with my daughter so that soon I will be a freelance copyeditor. You could be editing anything such as magazines, journals, reports, and novels for publishing houses or individuals. I'm also a freelance writer which is great because you don't need a lot of equipment to get started and most importantly I'm home with my LO.

I am running a monthly newspaper handling both sales and editorial copy. I have a sitter in my neighborhood. My hours are 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and I will visit my LO twice during that time to feed him. He is currently 12 weeks old, and we started this routine two weeks ago. We don't do bottles, so it was important for me to find a sitter who was OK with our routine and would call me if my LO needed to be fed prior to the set times I had planned (usually at 11 and 1). I was very concerned about the whole work issue because prior to getting pregnant, I had a marketing job outside the home with standard hours. After I got pregnant, we moved to another state and I didn't have any luck finding a job in my field. This job allows me to have enough flexibility to be productive while still being able to stay close to my LO.