Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Calories increase breast milk?

Default Calories increase breast milk?

I am currently in the process of trying to relactate. A friend of mine told me that if I increased my calories it would help. I am still currently carring around about 15 pounds baby weight and was about 20 pounds overweight to begin with. I am not dieting right now by any means, nor am I exercising. I am not overeating as well. Do you think calorie increase will help?

TO update you on what I am doing....

I am pumping about 9 or 10 times a day for 15 minutes.
    I am taking the fenugreek 3 pills, 3 times a day
    I am drinking mothers milk tea 2 times a day
    I eat oatmeal once a day.
    I am still taking my prenantal vitamins.
    I am drinking 8 glasses of water a day.
    I co sleep
    I spend as much skin to skin time as possible.

I am waiting on the Domperidone pills and my baby sling.

I cant get my daughter on my breast. SHe has been on the bottle too long plus I have flat nipples so she doesnt want to have anything to do with them. Nipple shields dont even help to much becuase it doesnt have anything to stay on! LOL

Now with pumping it is drizzling out. Extremely little but more then before. I am starting my 3rd week of this. I had stopped bfing for almost six weeks and I hear it can take about that long to get my supply back.

SORRY SO LONG...but here is my question. DO you think it is nessecary to increase calories as well? I dont want to gain any more weight. If it is nessecary, what is the best way to do it?

Default Re: Calories increase breast milk?

i haven't increased mine at all and my milk is coming.

i have flat nipples....TMI but i have to play a little to get them out. my left is inverted though. I finally gave into the shield just to get him on the breast, and after a few weeks of that he finally went without it.
    i have to walk with him and bounce him to get him to latch also. and in the beginning i had to do it while he was sleepy and tired. so maybe give that a shot??

I am now getting 6 oz a day a long with him latching, i was getting just a few drops like you. it is such a slow process but once you get her on the breast it will get easier! it just takes so much time!

you are doing great! goodluck and keep it up!

Default Re: Calories increase breast milk?

I've bf both my boys. My second has always been a breeze, but my oldest son didn't latch on for the first 3 weeks. Even after that, he was a weak nurser and needed a bottle afterwards for quite some time. I had a low milk supply because I didn't pump enough after he was born. I slowly tried to increase my supply by pumping after each feeding but then I wouldn't have enough milk for the next feeding in my "containers". It was a viscious cycle. What works the best is putting the baby to the breast and often. Works better than any pump can. Are you willing to keep trying? Can you work with a LC or LLL Leader? I don't think I could have continued pumping for 3 1/2 months if my son didn't latch on. I would have burned out. I commend you for that.

As far as calories or even meds, I can't help you with that. I used fenugreek and mothers milk tea, but that was the extent of it. I would think a healthy diet and plenty of water would be enough.

Brenda