Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dummy vs Hand sucking

Default Dummy vs Hand sucking

my little boy is 13 weeks now and loves his dummy (i was told by my dr i'm NOT exclusively breastfeeding if he's got a dummy!! )... he's started really sucking his fist in the last 2 weeks ... if he leaves his dummy to suck his hand to fall asleep at night, should i leave him or put the dummy back in?

Default Re: Dummy vs Hand sucking

Well I think you're doc isn't exactly correct, but I think I understand what he's getting at. Either way, they're often not recommended early with breastfeeding because it can cause latch issues- but it seems you're past that and he's established good nursing habits?

If so I say go for what works. dummy or fists/hands etc. WHatever he is liking is what you should follow

My DS2 used his until he was about 6 weeks old then just never wanted it again. Where as my older two would probably still be using one if I hadn't "lost" them over time

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

thank you so much!!

yes, breastfeeding's going wonderfull and i'm sticking it out for as long as i can, i've been told to supplement with water etc, but have decided not to. he's feeding 3 hrly during the day and once/twice at night and picking up weight like a trooper, so everything's going really well!!

Good job mom!!

(and realistically, what benefit does water have, especially in regard to weight gain? )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Okay call me a dummy, but what is a dummy?
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

Age Ticker

Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

Quote Originally Posted by lovebeingmommy View Post
    Okay call me a dummy, but what is a dummy?
    Pacifier

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Pacifier
    aaaahhhhh...got it! That is funny, I have never heard it called a dummy before!
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

Age Ticker

Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Marinda View Post
    i've been told to supplement with water etc
    there is actually no need to supplement with water ever.... Milk has all that they need in that way. We did not follow our pedis guidelines because the were set for FF babies. Check with your pedi to see if that is what they are going by. Usually talks of adding cereal and such at four months is a good way to tell. H2O and juice is usually ok around 6 to 9 months but not for supplementing, only in addition too. As far as the dummy, which is what we call it too, we use it but only in the crib after nursing has ended and sometimes in the car seat. I agree with the PP, it it what you are comfortable with. They both have the pros and cons. As long as nursing is good and weight gain is good it is your choice. e
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

I am of the opinion that hand sucking is better since they can find their hands in the middle of the night when you're asleep! Oh yeah! It's nice to keep snoozing instead of having to get up and keep putting pacifier back in until LO falls back asleep. (Obviously, I'm talking about if you know baby isn't hungry at that time) My LO found her thumb really well sometime in the 2nd month and still loves it. The only bad news is that it makes it a little bit more difficult to tell when LO is hungry and when she's just comforting. When in doubt - Whip it out!

Quote Originally Posted by oklamom View Post
    When in doubt - Whip it out!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin