Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mangos

Default Mangos

We've had constipation issues lately, I think banana and sweet potato are the main culprits. I want to give him mango for his next new food. Anybody know if that will constipate him? It doesn't seem like the kind of food that would, but I just want to play it safe. He's not drinking as much milk because of some major teething (top 4 teeth), so I know that's part of it too. I was thinking of mixing it with some avocado since that has gone through pretty smoothly so far.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Default Re: Mangos

I don't know of any reason not to. We found the mix-it-with-avocado thing very helpful too. I say whatever works!

From The Super Baby Food Book by Ruth Yaron, mangos are on the list of high risk of allergy foods.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Mango shouldn't constipate. It's very mild. All of my kids have loved it!
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

Quote Originally Posted by mom2a View Post
    From The Super Baby Food Book by Ruth Yaron, mangos are on the list of high risk of allergy foods.
    I would check out the info on wholesomebabyfood.com because they explain why mango is said to be allergic but actually isn't. Why don't you try giving him mashed plums or prunes -it'll be new and help his digestion move along. Another good food for his digestion is pears.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

My son loved mangos. Just a note... I don't know if you do your own purees, but it is a lot better than the canned. I've noticed that the Gerber mango is extremely high in sugar. I don't know why, you just need to buy a nice ripe mango and throw it in the blender more or less. Sometimes they tend to be a little almost stringy, so you just have to watch that.

For constipation, I try to give one P fruit a day (pears, prunes, peaches, plums...) My daughter LOVES mangos though. I think they are delicious too! I make smoothies with yogurt and canteloupes and she goes gaga for them.

When we slice off the "cheeks" of the mango, we give DS the pit. It has kept him happy for a very leisurely sunday brunch.

Messy, when it is warm enough it is a diaper only event!