Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long before chilling is OK?

Default How long before chilling is OK?

I pumped on the way home from a party yesterday and then forgot to move it to the fridge when we arrived home. It was not chilled in the car, so when I remembered this morning it had been 13-14 hours. I'm thinking typically they say it's OK for 8 hours at room temp, but I thought I had also heard that in other countries they say even longer in a shady spot is fine.

So, should I go ahead and bag and freeze? Or should I dump? Can I tell by color/separation/smell?

Ugh, I pump rarely and usually only get 2-3 ounces, but now that he's eating some spoon foods I pumped 9 ounces! Hate to lose it, but needs to be safe.

Thanks.

Default Re: How long before chilling is OK?

I have read up to 10 hours is okay. But if it was a cool spot I'll tell you what I would do: I would smell and taste it, and if it was okay I would use it right away (i.e. don't freeze it). If I already had a lot of ebm and didn't need it, I would probably dump it (tears running down my cheeks as the liquid gold went down the drain).

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on