Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sudden Low Milk Supply! Please Help!

Unhappy Sudden Low Milk Supply! Please Help!

I hope somebody is able to help me!

My daughter is 5 1/2 months old and up until last week she was breastfed exclusively. 9 days ago i was admitted to the hospital and had to have an emergency appendectomy. I was then on antibiotics and was told I was not able to breastfeed my daughter for 6 days. (during those six days she had breastmilk that I had pumped and frozen since her birth, and a little bit of formula the last day because we ran out of milk). I did pump those 6 days, usually 3-4 times a day, getting 7-8oz every pumping session. I thought my milk supply would be okay, but 2 days ago, when i started breastfeeding her again, i realized I did not have enough milk anymore. I have tried putting her to the breast every hour that she is awake, and she sucks most of the time, but gets quite frustrated because she cannot get much milk out. I also try pumping after every nursing session but usually am not able to get out even a quarter of an ounce, pumping both sides. I have tried to give her formula after nursing because i know she is still hungry (she comes off crying, tries latching again, sucks lots and then comes off crying again. When i try hand express my milk nothing comes out, and I have never had a problem with that before) but she refuses to take the bottle from me now that she knows she can have my breast again, so im worried she is not getting enough food.

I also got my period for the first time since I had her, and Im sure that has to do with me quitting breastfeeding for those 6 days. Would that have anything to do with my low supply? How can i increase my milk supply again without taking herbs/pills. Does her sucking and me pumping, even if nothing comes out, help to increase my supply? Please help!

Ashley

Default Re: Sudden Low Milk Supply! Please Help!

I'm so sorry to hear you needed surgery, but I'm glad to hear that you're okay!

Yes, breastfeeding as much as possible will help (even if you feel nothing is coming out).

My best suggestions are:
    1. Plan to stay in bed for a day or two and do nothing but eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, and nurse. If your baby even looks at you, offer to nurse. Get help with everything else, and just rest and nurse.
    2. Eat well, drink to thirst (if your urine is pale, you're getting enough).
    3. Pump or hand express in between nursing, as often as you feel comfortable doing so. Even if you only have five minutes, that's five minutes of "placing an order" for more milk.
    4. While your baby nurses, try breast compressions to help the milk flow and keep your baby interested.

Is your baby's output good? How many wet and poopy diapers is she having per 24 hours?

Here's some more info on increasing production:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...y.html#contact
    http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/supply.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html

Thank you so much for your response "Give Peas A Chance". Your advice is a huge help!! I have been nursing as often as possible, and my daughter is definately loving being at my breast so much. She is satisfied to suck even when there is little milk coming out. Its been a few days now and I think my supply is slowly rebuilding. I havent had to supplement her with any formula yesterday or today. Yay!

Thanks again for the help and the links

That's great news! And you're welcome!

I agree... don't give up.... and I know at that age my lo wanted "instant milk" so that he could get back to exploring.... so just be patient and hang in there!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

It will come back, it just takes longer to come back than to decrease. I am glad to hear you didnot have to supplement her for 2 days. Good work momma. Keep putting her to the breast and pumping. you are doing great.

oh and hope YOU are feeling better yourself!

thank you all so much for you support and encouragement! This is a very trying time, but I am determined to continue breastfeeding! Its good to know that it takes longer to build up your supply than it does to decrease, I will just keep at it, putting her to the breast as often as I can and pumping in between. Does anyone know how long it might take to build up again?? Its been a week now and I only noticed this morning that I was a little bit fuller than the last few mornings (But my daughter also slept in an hour later than usual so that might have something to do with it). I still seem to have very little milk in the evenings. I did have to try give her formula again last night but she absolutely refused to take it. My husband and I tried to give it to her by bottle AND cup (she usually LOVES drinking from the cup) but she was having nothing to do with it...do you think that means she doesnt like the formula and I should try another?? She drank this one when I was in the hospital...

I am very glad to be a part of this forum, everyone is such a great help!
    Ashley

Glad to hear that things are getting better!

If the diaper output is good, it sounds like you can probably just stop supplementing at this point, rather than spending money looking for a formula she'll take? At 6 months, she's probably old enough to indicate if she's really hungry and demand the feeding. It's normal to be much lower in supply in the evening, so I wouldn't be concerned about that as long as she's acting like she's getting enough overall. When I was having to supplement, I remember going through the same thing of feeling like I needed to give a bottle of formula in the evening - I think some of it was just a confidence issue, having had low supply. Like you had to wean ME off the formula more than her. Eventually we got off the formula completely - sounds like you're almost there if not already.

Quote Originally Posted by koalabear106 View Post
    thank you all so much for you support and encouragement! This is a very trying time, but I am determined to continue breastfeeding! Its good to know that it takes longer to build up your supply than it does to decrease, I will just keep at it, putting her to the breast as often as I can and pumping in between. Does anyone know how long it might take to build up again?? Its been a week now and I only noticed this morning that I was a little bit fuller than the last few mornings (But my daughter also slept in an hour later than usual so that might have something to do with it). I still seem to have very little milk in the evenings. I did have to try give her formula again last night but she absolutely refused to take it. My husband and I tried to give it to her by bottle AND cup (she usually LOVES drinking from the cup) but she was having nothing to do with it...do you think that means she doesnt like the formula and I should try another?? She drank this one when I was in the hospital...

I am very glad to be a part of this forum, everyone is such a great help!
    Ashley
    I am going through the same thing with my LO. I have had to feed her every 1 1/2-2 hrs for the past few days and my production has increased quite a bit. I am still far from what I was at.

I am taking a vitamin by Garden of Life (bought at Hi-Health) called Perfect Food - Super Green Formula. It has a lot of great things in it. But the most important things in it is the Barley Grass, Alfalfa Grass, and Oat Grass. I really feel that is why I have had such a great increase in my supply. I am really bad at eating my green vegetables. I am also drinking Spirutein Protein Drink. Protein really helps with production as well.

Good Luck.
    Married my soulmate Jay 4/22/06
    First time Mom to Alexis 10/29/07 6lbs 15oz 19 3/4 in
    6 month checkup 12lb 10oz 26 1/2 in
    7 month weight check 14lb 6oz - Yea!!
    9 Month checkup - 16lbs

and

Love to

Goal
    6 months
    9 months
    12 months

I just wanted to thank everyone so much, I don't know if I could have gotten through this rough patch without all your encouragement and support!

My milk supply is very abdundant now!! Lots of breastfeeding, and snuggling, eating oatmeal, and I did also end up going on domperidone as well. My lo is SO happy now! She eats her fill and I can still pump 3-7oz 3 or 4 times a day to build up a stash in the freezer again! Im so happy these days. I was ready to give up and now we're a happier BF couple than ever. Thanks everyone!