Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still not much milk???

Unhappy Still not much milk???

I had 2 people reply to my posting last nigt"Please Help". Well in that I did not mention that I used cabbage leaves help me dry up. I have just found in some reading that the cabbage can work too well and really reduce my milk /supply. I did this sat. night 7/21 and today is Monday 7/23 I've been pumping and nursing today, but my baby is still not happy (I've had to use some formula today). Have I done something that I can't change? I have pumped 2X for 15min each time and hardly have 3oz of milk. My breast no longer seem heavy and I have not felt any let downs today. Do any of you know what else I can do? I did buy some fungreek (spelling?) herbs and mothers milk tea do these seem to really work?

Default Re: Still not much milk???

12 hours is by no means an irreversible amount of time. I once went 15 hrs without pumping. I didn't even leak. But the next day I just held my son all day long and let him nurse every hour and a half. The best thing you can do if you are worried about it is get into bed and be committed to STAYING There with your LO (and the phone and the remote and a huge glass of something to drink) and let your baby nurse on demand.

Don't let the pump be your judge of what you are producing. Your baby will always be more effecient at draining your breast than a pump will be.

You said you supplemented today with formula. That seems like the thing of largest concern to me. Every time you supplement, it one less time(at least) that you body doesn't send the signal to produce milk. Sometimes more than one because BF babies generally eat every 1-3 hours and formula can take up to 4 hours to digest. So you could miss two signals!

Those herbs you mentioned are supposed to work. And since you already purchased, you may as well try! But just because your breasts aren't hard doesn't mean you aren't producing. have some tea and get into bed! You can do this! Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by hotmomma
    Do any of you know what else I can do? I did buy some fungreek (spelling?) herbs and mothers milk tea do these seem to really work?
    I got that problem too during breastfeeding. Now my lio baby gurl is 3 years old, but good that I kept the information and the site from which I took it. You should try SHATAVARI ( http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s33641-s-SHATAVARI.aspx ) as it is an excellent medication to increase lactation. You will then be able to produce more milk and breastfeed your baby in a better and more relaxed way. I hope the url helps you, there are more information on the site.

Have a look at the picture:

Wholly natural product!

hotmomma, 3 oz of milk is a normal and average output for most women for 30 minutes of pumping, so you definetely have not "dried up". My supply is fine and that's the usual amount I can pump in two 15 min sessions. Just keep pumping and putting your daughter to your breast. Here's a good article about weaning from forumla supplements that will help build your confidence in your supply:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

Like I wrote in my post on your other thread, were you having problems breastfeeding, before your decision to stop? We can give you some help with any problem if you'd like.

Keep up the great work!

How have things been going the past few days??