Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Looking for help with 2 week old

Default Looking for help with 2 week old

Hey. . .this is the first time posting here, I hope you all can help. I have a 2 week old baby girl and have been breastfeeding from the beginning, but am having issues. We got into the "jaundice and supplementing" cycle when she awas first here, and I'm afraid it's really screwed things up. I feed her from both sides and sometimes switch feed and when we've weighed her she's still only getting about an ounce per session (every 3 hours or so). Then we've been supplementing with formula, I've been trying to BF her more often and haven't been supplementing after every feeding for the last days. I've been taking Reglan and herbs to try to help boost production (I have PCOS, which I understand can play a factor here). Also, I'm having problems with a compression line that's painful , my LC says it's because she's not latching deeply enough, but I can't seem to get it resolved. I'll occasionally use a nipple shield when the line gets so bad I can't stand it. Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by madismama; May 4th, 2008 at 07:54 PM.

Default Re: Looking for help with 2 week old

Hi. Welcome!

How is diaper output and how much formula is she getting?

Sometimes in those early days with both of my girls we had to work on latch for up to 30 minutes before getting it right!!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

diaper output, umm, we're doing 5-6 wet and I haven't seen a poo in 48 hours. I've been told by her doc that's OK unless it goes 4-5 days and/or she's in distress. . .Yeah, it takes 15 minutes sometimes to get latched on to where it looks/feels good, but she still comes off and there's a nice white line. She's not taking skin though anymore, which is an improvement

She's taking 1 1/2-2 oz of formula, mostly at night now (so, 3-4 feedings)
    Last edited by madismama; May 5th, 2008 at 08:04 AM.

I know lots of people diss the nipple shield, but if you can use it to kick baby off formula and get her to nurse longer, I say go for it. You can satisfy her early cravings using it and then take it off and work on latch.

Keep trying. Things may resolve themselves when her mouth gets a bit bigger.

Welcome... Sorry you are having a tough time. Don't give up. I think it sometimes takes awhile for the baby to get use to latching on properly. I know mine did.
    Jennifer, 1st time mom to Noah. Born August 27,07 by c-section after 12 hours of labor.

Check out my website
    www.myspagirlparties.com/jennifermorris

we used a NS for a while when Lo was first born because she just couldn't get a deep enough latch. we were also sucked into the jaundice must supplement routine, or we couldn't take her home. DH gave 2 bottles and then I tossed the formula out. It seemed to make her go poop less then just BM, and poop is good when your jaundice! As far as weaning from the FFs, make sure you pump after each nursing to build supply and also pump at the times you are FF to help your body make milk at times.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Hi. I have a two week old daughter also. BF has started out to be more challenging than I thought bc our schedules were so haphazard for the first two weeks I could never leave and felt like we would be continuously feeding for an hour or two.I just alternated sides every 15 min to a half an hour. For the last three days we're finally on some kind of predictable schedule (for now). I wouldn't worry about only pumping an oz. First of all, the pump doesn't extract nearly the same amount as the baby due to hormones, her smell and her irregular sucking rythm. The machine doesn't have as strong a suction either. 2weeks olds only eat a couple oz. at a time (could be 1 oz, or 2 oz depending on time of day). I think, by what my docotr has told me and the things I've read, that you are producing just the right amount for what your baby needs. The tricky part is getting off the supplaments bc then your body gets let off the hook and doesn't know it actually needs to keep producing. But it sounds like things are pretty normal as far as production goes. I'm a new mom, but I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. Good luck.

Geamer

If the nipple shield helps and keeps her off formula then use it at every feeding. Once she is used to nursing, like maybe in a few weeks or a month, then you can wean her off.

I had such pain with my baby while nursing but now that he's getting bigger and his mouth is bigger the pain is magically gone! Hopefully as your baby grows the same will be for you.

Oh and
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks