Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much milk for Daycare?

Default How much milk for Daycare?

I'm returning to work and I'm not sure how much milk I should give daycare. Also, their policy is once the bottle is heated up, if the baby does not finish the milk they discard the rest. I really don't want my pumped milk going to waste, so I rather give them small amounts in many bottles. Any suggestions on how to do this and how much total milk I should give them per day.

Thanks.

Default Re: How much milk for Daycare?

Rule of thumb is that LO needs 1-1.5 ounces for every hour you will be away from them, so 8-12 ounces a day should do it. Of course you can always tweak it if needed. Given their policy, you could do smaller amounts ( 2 ounce bottles per say). His first few days I was leaving SEVERAL bottles, but now I know what he needs ( this is week 5) and he always has just enough!
    I don't know if this is an option for you, but I go to my LO's daycare at noon and BF, we really enjoy the time together.
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!

Thanks for the advise.

Wife to Brian, Mother to James 11/28/2005 and Kevin 02/24/2008.

03/06/2008 8 pounds 3 ounces
    03/11/2008 8 pounds 12 ounces
    03/21/2008 9 pounds 12 ounces
    04/08/2008 11 pounds exactly
    05/01/2008 13 pounds 6 ounces
    05/08/2008 14 pounds exactly

Breastfeeding goals:
    2 weeks
    4 weeks
    6 weeks
    2 months
    3 months
    6 months
    9 months
    1 year!!

I agree with the pp as far as how much he should be drinking but give more at first. My ds eats about 15 oz when I'm at work and would eat more if my mom let him (my mom watches ds for me). If he's given a 5 oz bottle, he'll eat it all, so make sure they don't overfeed your lo.

For storing, I store my milk in freezer bags so I don't have a ton of bottles in my freezer. I know Medela also has 2.5 oz storage containers you could consider. I would definately store your milk in smaller increments so it's less likely to be wasted.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by z&cmomma View Post
    I agree with the pp as far as how much he should be drinking but give more at first. My ds eats about 15 oz when I'm at work and would eat more if my mom let him (my mom watches ds for me). If he's given a 5 oz bottle, he'll eat it all, so make sure they don't overfeed your lo.

For storing, I store my milk in freezer bags so I don't have a ton of bottles in my freezer. I know Medela also has 2.5 oz storage containers you could consider. I would definately store your milk in smaller increments so it's less likely to be wasted.

Good luck!
    I think daycares actually require that you put the milk in bottles, so if they are frozen in a large bag, you can just thaw it out and seperate into bottles