Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning to work - sad

Post Returning to work - sad

I can't believe that 3 months have passed already. Tomorrow is my first full day at work and I'm not sure if I can do this. I've already cried 6 times today . How do you moms do it? I feel so terrible, like I'm abandoning him.

I'm also terrified of my milk supply decreasing from the stress of work. I've read all the ways to help increase it when that happens, but what do you try first (pump more? take fenugreek? oatmeal?)

Default Re: Returning to work - sad

Oh, Mama, we are here for you!!! It is hard -- I can't even count how many times I cried in the week before I went back to work (and now I'm getting all teary again ). The transition is hard, but if you know that working is what you need to do -- for whatever reason, then it gets easier.

I found solace in pumping at work -- I always feel like I am doing something for my baby even though I am away from my baby. It does make me feel better. If you keep a regular pumping schedule and keep hydrated at work, your supply should be ok. I certainly have had stressful weeks where it dipped a bit, but it always came back up.

Sending you so many hugs! Please let us know how it goes!!!
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

I know exactly how you feel. I will be going back to work in a couple of months. I am already thinking about it daily. I don't know what I'm going to do. Is there anything that will make it easier? I don't have any answers for you but just know that you are not alone.

It is hard but try to take it easy your first week back. I agree with the PP-try to pump at least 3 times on a regular schedule and drink plenty of fluids. Also try not to let work stress you out too much. I also agree that my pumping sessions were very relaxing. I got away for 20 minutes and I could just sit, relax and think about my baby. I wouldn't worry about your supply at this point. Just pump as much as possible and drink a lot of water (I guess oatmeal wouldn't hurt either!).
    Mom to a beautiful little girl-born June 27th, 2006

I was in your shoes about a month ago. Every day gets better. I cried and cried the first 2 weeks. Both you and the baby have to have an adjustment time. It takes about 3 weeks (or at least it did for us). Keep your head up; it will get better.

Me (25)
    DH (26)
    DS Born December 5, 2007

Nursed 1 year and we are going on strong!

I am:
    , , , and

Thanks for the kind words! I cried almost the whole way to work but pulled myself together before I walked through the doors. I kept busy for most of the day, pumped twice, and left 5 on the dot. I'll take it one day at a time and look forward to weekends when I have him all to myself.

Honestly I don't know how any of you in the US do it. We get a year mat leave in Canada and that was tough going back to work! I couldn't imagine 3 months! I would be a mess.
    I have the upmost respect for women who go back to work so early and continue to nurse. I am sure it is challenging.
    I just want to wish you luck and hope you find all the support you need on here.

to you.
    Its GOIN TO BE OKAY!! I promise you this. I did it 5 weeks ago, tears and all. Being able to see LO during lunch and feed him has helped me. Also, no problems with my milk supply! I can only feed him at lunch MANY days, with no pumping involved, and my supply has been just great, thank goodness!! So I think its all going to be okay! You just hang in there, and cry when you need to, I do and did!
    Thankfully I like my job, and can see LO at noon- until I get more adjusted; he also seems happy with his care, so that helps a lot!

Hugs mamma, its going to be okay!!! Don't worry about your supply, my guess is it will be just fine, like mine has been... He had two bottles of formula the first week, while I pumped a couple to get ahead, and has had nothing but breast milk since!!
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!

It really does get easier.

I have been back to work for 8 months now and while there are days (like today) that I am REALLY missing my lo's, most days I keep busy and it goes by pretty quickly. I think part of my problem today is that my schedule just changed and instead of getting off at 2pm, I now get off at 6pm which means less time on a daily basis with my lo, but I get 3 days off instead of 2, so it all works out in the end.
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

Unhappy Re: Returning to work - sad

Good morning, My husband is packing up and getting ready to take my little girl to daycare. It really helps to read so many of the other moms experiences. I also would love to be a SAHM but we can't financely do it at this time. Any first day tips? I was thinking of going to do yoga or something.