Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this a phase?

Default Is this a phase?

DD is 15 months today and has been nursing the last couple of weeks like crazy. She has been eating very little solids. She nurses so much that her poop has gone back to being mustard yellow, soft and curdy. Is this just a phase? She only has 4 teeth so she might be teething? My nipples are getting sore again and I'm starting to feel drained from the constant nursing.

Default Re: Is this a phase?

My DD went through several phases like that between the ages of 12 mos and 24 mos. I noticed it when
    she was teething
    not feeling well
    getting ready to meet a major milestone/master a new skill
    there was a change in our routine or atmosphere at home (ie vacation, visitors, different work schedule)
    So, yes, it's just a phase that's work itself out. Try not to make it a power struggle with her and it might end faster. I know, easier said than done. But it does get better. Also, don't feel bad about needing to set some limits and use some distractions when mommy needs a break! I would negotiate a little with DD at that age and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.
    Just wanted to say, I know how you feel. It's tough, but it'll pass. Probably before you're totally crazy...
    Erin
    Mom to Laura (3/1/06)

My son went through what I call "newborn nursing" at 12 months. It was just a phase and passed as quickly as it began.

Your DD could definately be teething though! Also, there are so many viruses going around right now. Her body could be fighting something or protecting itself?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

My son is doing this right now at 17 months- all of a sudden I can't eat dinner without him asking to nurse again. I think it's a milestone , he has been sleeping longer stretches , or like the PP said there are a lot of things going around.
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.

My 13 month old just got over that phase also. She was nursing like a newborn for about 2 weeks. I think it is teething as I see two coming in plus we did move. Sounds like there is a 12-24 month phases we have to go thru. Hang in there!
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

Thanks to everyone. This morning has been so hard. Since she woke up at 6:30 she has been nursing every 1/2 hour for 5-10 minutes at a time. Yesterday she did the same thing all day long, even when we were out and had a ton of distractions. I'm trying to be patient, but in the back of my mind I'm wondering if weaning isn't the best thing for us?
    I want CLW but right now I just need a break.
    It's comforting to know that I"m not alone and that this phase will pass...hopefully sooner than later.

Have you tried having your husband give her a sippy/snack instead? My lo wont take a sippy from me but from my husband she will. It does help us space her feedings a bit. I have thought of weaning during these crazy times too but I am thinking especailly now during her really need me times would not be a good idea. It may be too tramatic. I would think its best to wean when she isnt nursing like crazy. Just know this wont last and before you know it she will be weaned and we may actually miss these times when they need us so much.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

She'll only drink water out of the sippy cup. She doesn't like juice. We're trying to transition her to soy milk while I'm at work (she has a milk allergy) but she'll only have about an oz at a time. The sippy cup or snacks only seem to distract her for a few minutes. She'll take a drink or eat a small snack then she's back doing her milk sign. Sometimes if I offer her a sippy or snack she'll get really mad and throw a temper tantrum.
    My husband is super supportive and tries to give me a break often. He'll take her outside to play or read books. He's my biggest and only supporter right now. My family has been telling me that I should wean since she was 6 months and now I just get the occassional "you're still doing THAT".
    I'll just wait out this phase and see how we feel after.
    It's a good feeling to know that you're not alone.

Teeth could be the cause but are there any new changes? I know when I hired someone to stay with LO for a few hours 2 days a week she became this nursing manic... it was like she need to be reassured when I was there they were too!
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

my son did that when we were on vacation. he only likes my cooking i guess. it sures makes the diapers harder to clean though. lol. He tends to nurse a lot anyway, like every hour.