Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breastmilk and poop

Default breastmilk and poop

Hi - my son is 5 months old and I've noticed lately that his poo doesn't have the seediness that it used to have when he was first born. I thought as long as he is breastfed, that the poo will still look seedy? He does have a bit of diarrhea now and then which I'm trying to figure out if it's a food allergy from what I've eaten.
    Has anyone noticed their babies poo becoming less "seedy"?
    Not sure if I should be concerned that it isn't?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: breastmilk and poop

Hey there!

Yes, it's totally normal for the 'seeds' to not appear in lo's poop after time has passed. Just as long as there's no mucus and/or blood, it's fine. (That may indicate an allergy, as you probably know.) Just as long as it's soft and he doesn't have to strain in pain to get it out.

What makes you think he has diarrhea? Has the frequency of his poop doubled or tripled and is it VERY watery?

You can always call the pediatric nurse just for peace of mind. That's what they're there for.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

In animals, "seedy" poop is undigested fats, so I imagine babies start becoming more efficient at digestion, esp. during a growth spurt, and that's probably a good sign.

Thanks, ladies! I'm glad to hear that they "grow" out of the seediness poop.
    The poo isn't very watery, but it has always been very frequent about 3-4 times a day. His pediatrician said it's normal for breastfed babies to still poo as much as they want - every baby is different. Maybe mine digest his food pretty quickly?
    There ARE some mucus now and then and I do notice a strip of blood once or twice. The sad thing is, I hope it's not what I ate that have been giving him these problems. I'm a vegetarian but I still eat eggs and dairy and they are my main source of protein (including soy) and I know all 3 of them are high on the allergen list!

We go in and out of our seediness. Here's my fav link about poo:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

HTH!

my 5 month old still goes poo 3-4 sometimes even 5 times a day! doctor told me it's still ok. he also has "racing stripes" quite often accompanying his gas.

Oh my, I wish dd pooped 3 or 4 times a day! In her life, I've probably changed 5 diapers total that weren't poopy, and until about 3 months, that was almost hourly. Now I'm lucky to go 3 hours. She's gifted, I guess...

What are "racing stripes?" I've never heard that before.

racing stripes are a stripe of poo in the diaper usually vaused by a big fart. lol

Quote Originally Posted by jojo1079 View Post
    he also has "racing stripes" quite often accompanying his gas.
    We get those too.