Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I do it?

Default Can I do it?

I'm glad to have found this forum because I am very close to tears with frustration over failure to breastfeed

My daughter was born one week ago. She was breech so we had to do a C-section. During my pregnancy my breasts never leaked and I didnt really notice a change in breast size. The first night in the hospital I put her to the breast every time she cried. She seemed to suck a little, but I didnt really know much about breastfeeding so I wasnt sure she was getting anything. The nurses kept assuring me that she was getting colostrum. I was able to meet with the LC the next day. She showed me some ways to hold the baby and reccomemended that I keep trying. The baby's billi was up that evening so the doctor suggest we supplement with forumula. We started syringe feeding and having her suck on our finger during in hopes that shed still learn to breastfeed.

She never really learned to latch on while in the hospital. THe LC gave me a pump to use and basically sent us home. My milk hadnt come in yet by the time I left the hospital. Now my milk has 'kinda' come in. When I pump I get basically 1 ounce from one breast and only a few drops from the other. Baby still will not latch on. We've basically been using a bottle and formula and I give her breastmilk after I pump. I've been only pumping 2 or 3 times a day. I would really REALLY like to get her to breastfeed but am not certain if I just dont have enough milk? Is it too late to increase supply now? Should I pump for 30 mins even if nothing is coming out?

I need advice/tips please!

Default Re: Can I do it?

Hang in there mama!

Lots of skin to skin contact really helps! I would suggest putting your baby to your breast very frequently (typically she should be nursing every 1-3 hours). Even "suckling" will stimulate milk production - and your baby will be much more effective than any pump. She should be feeding 8-12 times a day. If you can't figure out the latch I would go back to see the LC - but in the mean time, here are some links for you to take a look at
    Help! My baby wont nurse!
    Establishing and maintaining milk supply when baby is not nursing
    Latch On
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

You CAN do this! There is a learning curve for all Mamas and Babies. It sounds like you've had a difficult start. Nursing after a C-section is a challenge in itself.

Have you contacted your local La Leche League leader? Getting some in person help can be crucial in those early days and weeks. Someone experienced to watch you nurse and offer pointers and hints and just general support will do wonders.

A pump is not a good indicator of how much milk you are producing. Some women just don't respond well to the pump. Your baby is the most efficient method of removing milk from your breast. If she is not latching on at all, you will need to pump more often than 2-3 times a day to increase milk production and maintain it. Your baby would be nursing every 1-3 hours or more, so be sure you are pumping frequently. Your local leader will have more suggestions on that aswell.

What does your daughter do when you put her to the breast?

Skin to skin contact can really help. Some Moms have found that baby latches well when in the tub. Also, when baby is very drowsy or just waking up they can instinctually latch on. Keep the room dim, with no distractions.

You can definately do this and we are here to support you. But some in-person support can really help you right now aswell.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by upsetnewmom View Post
    I'm glad to have found this forum because I am very close to tears with frustration over failure to breastfeed

My daughter was born one week ago. She was breech so we had to do a C-section. During my pregnancy my breasts never leaked and I didnt really notice a change in breast size. The first night in the hospital I put her to the breast every time she cried. She seemed to suck a little, but I didnt really know much about breastfeeding so I wasnt sure she was getting anything. The nurses kept assuring me that she was getting colostrum. I was able to meet with the LC the next day. She showed me some ways to hold the baby and reccomemended that I keep trying. The baby's billi was up that evening so the doctor suggest we supplement with forumula. We started syringe feeding and having her suck on our finger during in hopes that shed still learn to breastfeed.

She never really learned to latch on while in the hospital. THe LC gave me a pump to use and basically sent us home. My milk hadnt come in yet by the time I left the hospital. Now my milk has 'kinda' come in. When I pump I get basically 1 ounce from one breast and only a few drops from the other. Baby still will not latch on. We've basically been using a bottle and formula and I give her breastmilk after I pump. I've been only pumping 2 or 3 times a day. I would really REALLY like to get her to breastfeed but am not certain if I just dont have enough milk? Is it too late to increase supply now? Should I pump for 30 mins even if nothing is coming out?

I need advice/tips please!
    and Hello!

First, I just want to commend you for asking for help. It sounds like it might be beneficial to call a La Leche League leader or a lactation consultant and have them come over just to work with you one on one. Second, when she's at the breast, do you hear her swallowing? Third, nurse her first and if she's not getting enough, then use what you get from the bottle. Put her to the breast as much as possible. The more she demands, the more it tells your body to make.

Some more mommies will come along and are great with helping new mommies. Best of luck to you. You can do it!!!!!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Mama! Yes, you CAN do this!

I had issues with supply as well. This is what worked for us:

I would nurse my DD, (3 weeks old) and then pump right afterwards. I did this after every feeding, even at night. (It was a PITB, but it worked!) I also took 3 200 mg tablets of Fenugreek (found at GNC) 3 times a day. After about a week, I was making MUCH more milk.

I'd consult with a local LLL leader and an LC. Its not to late to work on supply issues. You've received some great advice from PP.

Its hard, but you can do it!

you can do it!
    Your baby is very young yet....
    this link might help

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/back.html

Thanks so much for all the kind responses and encouragement! I was actually pleasantly surprised to get so much feedback.

To answer some questions:

My baby doesnt really latch on at all. She will take the nipple in her mouth for about 1 to 2 sucks and then just turn her head and spit it out. If I try to get her to take it again she just turns her head and starts to cry. She seems to do a little better with the left breast (she'll actually suck a few more times) but unfortunately, thats the side that I hardly get anything out of when I pump......so basically, when I do put her to the breast.....I don't think she's getting anything...and I can't get her to stay there at all. She gets pretty upset.

I will defintely try more skin to skin contact. I just finished my RN program this week so unfortunately the day I left the hospital I had to go take 2 exams and then take a final the next day so it really messed up our pumping time. But, Im officially done with school so I will definitely increase my pumping time as well.

I havent looked up a local leader but I will do that as well.

One person mentioned the herbal supplements......those seem to help?

Also, Baby was on the smaller side, 6lbs 7oz when she was born, and went down to 5lbs 13 oz. Shes regained up to 6lbs 1 oz this first week. Does size have an impact on their nursing trends?

thanks again for all the support. Any help with getting her to take the breast would be greatly appreciated. I am still formula feeding her as she isnt drinking at the breast and Im only getting about 1 ounce pumping.

Herbal supplements will help somewhat with milk supply, but will only truly work if the milk is being removed from the breast.

It sounds like the first thing to tackle is getting her to latch on. Can you manually (via hand expression or pump) letdown your milk so that when she does latch on she gets immediate milk. She could be used to the instant flow of milk from a bottle. They have to work harder to get milk from the breast.

There is a Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) that is a tube that attaches to you nipple and is attached to a bottle of milk. This is a way for baby to get the milk, stimulate your breasts, and avoid possible nipple confusion/flow preference from a bottle.

Stress can lower supply so try to avoid as much non-baby stuff as possible. Taking a nursing vacation with your baby can help supply and connection between Mom and Baby. Just go to bed, get as much skin to skin contact as possible, and nurse nurse nurse. Just keep offering the breast. I would definately try when she is drowsy, but not overly hungry. Manually trigger your letdown, and offer the breast. She will get instant milk and may stay latched. She will learn that the milk is there and its worth it for her to nurse.

Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)