Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: over feeding 3 week old?

Default over feeding 3 week old?

I did not know where to post this...

I have to EP due to a latch issue. My LO is 3 weeks old. She was eating 3 ozs every 2-3 hours. Lately she is eating 5-6 oz every 1-3 hours (varies). I have been keeping tabs on her eating and yesterday she ate 27 ozs a day. The day before, it was 25. She is only 6 lbs 7 ozs.

Why is she eating so much? I cannot keep up with her eating and it is totally stressing me out. When she roots or put her hands in her mouth we try to stall her and not feed her by giving her our fingers or a pacifier or swaddling her or wearing her. She eventually screams, turns bright red and even sheds tears (she did not have tears before) causing me to think, this is about hunger and not a sucking reflex but OH MY GOODNESS why would a 6 lb 7 oz baby need 27 ounces a day? It seems too high based on everything I have read.

What should I do? Do I let her cry? She is only 3 weeks? Do I feed her despite the fact that it appears to be too much for her size?

Default Re: over feeding 3 week old?

three weeks is just time for a growth spurt

Default Re: over feeding 3 week old?

typically a child between 1 and 6 months will consume around 25 ounces of milk in a 24 hour period. Considering your LO is 3 weeks (prime time or a growth spurt) I wouldn't be concerned. Here's more information on it: How Much Milk Do Babies Need
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet