Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: overfeeding 3 month old?

Default overfeeding 3 month old?

My subject says "over feeding 3 month old" but it should say "over feeding 3 week old" - I do not know how to edit the subject.

I have to EP due to a latch issue. My LO is 3 weeks old. She was eating 3 ozs every 2-3 hours. Lately she is eating 5-6 oz every 1-3 hours (varies). I have been keeping tabs on her eating and yesterday she ate 27 ozs a day. The day before, it was 25. She is only 6 lbs 7 ozs.

Why is she eating so much? I cannot keep up with her eating and it is totally stressing me out. When she roots or put her hands in her mouth we try to stall her and not feed her by giving her our fingers or a pacifier or swaddling her or wearing her. She eventually screams, turns bright red and even sheds tears (she did not have tears before) causing me to think, this is about hunger and not a sucking reflex but OH MY GOODNESS why would a 6 lb 7 oz baby need 27 ounces a day? It seems too high based on everything I have read.

What should I do? Do I let her cry? She is only 3 weeks? Do I feed her despite the fact that it appears to be too much for her size?
    Last edited by Mom_of_ZAL; May 3rd, 2008 at 06:25 PM. Reason: subject was wrong

Default Re: overfeeding 3 month old?

3 weeks is a prime time for a growth spurt where they want to nurse more.
    heres a link that might help

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

is one of your goals getting your baby back to the breast?

Kellymom also has great tips of bottle feeding breast fed babes.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/m...#toomuchlittle

Are you using a slow flow nipple on the bottle?

I am using a bornfree stage 1 nipple. It's my understanding that that is a slow flow nipple.

I am trying to get her back on the breast but we HAVE to fix a tongue-tie issue first or its impossible for her to latch. We don't see someone until later this week and even then it may not correct itself by 100%

if you are concerned try taking just an oz away at every feeding! it could be a combo of suck reflex and hunger, my lo would eat 5,6,7,...11 oz if I let her from a bottle bec its easier than the breast! But I realized that she cries no matter how much is in the bottle bec when it is done there is nothing left to suck, unlike when breastfed, she determines when she is finished.

Our solution that worked: When the bottle is finished, she cries, but I stand up and walk around with her while I burp her, she gets easily distracted and is smiling/content seconds/min later! This is how I know she is content! we gave 2-3 oz every two hours and up-ed it a half oz every month until 5 oz and that is where we have stayed for months now, she still cries ever so often, but has gotten MUCH better! it takes time and practice to see what works!

HTH
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Even if a nipple package says it is slow flow, the nipple itself may not be. Even two nipples from the same package may have different flow rates. Try this: Fill the nipple up with water. If the nipple drip drip drips, then it's too fast. If it goes drip...drip...drip, then it is slow.

You could try paced feeding techniques to assure that baby gets her sucking needs met at the breast. Here's some info:
    www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    www.bfar/bottlefeeding.pdf