Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning 18th month old

Default Weaning 18th month old

I need advice
    My son is now 18months old. He is weaned during the day already. Up until last night, he only nursed at bedtime and during the night (co-sleeps). He has been crying after he finishes feeding and wants more. He switches back and forth back and forth. I am at the point where i no longer enjoy this. So last night I decided I was going to wean. He would ask and I would tell him that it was all gone. He fussed for a few minutes and then went to sleep each time (2,3,4am). I am now wondering if I should continue this method or at least feed him at bedtime only and not during through the night?
    Thanks for any thoughts or advice.
    Breastfed for 20months

Default Re: Weaning 18th month old

how is he doing on solids?

As long as toddler is nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours they don't need extra milk
    that's what kept me going with my dd.

That and flu season.

He eats solids great. He drinks whole milk during the daytime.
    He nurses at 7pm, 12mn, 4am but it just doesnt seem to satisfy him anymore and he crys after he is done; saying "more". That is what is frustrating and makes me want to quit.
    Breastfed for 20months

try one feeding at a time
    and wean slowly with love.

It sounds like you are on the right track!

heres the weaning pages :
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBweaning.html

Is he getting his molars? When my son is getting teeth he does that, I think that's because BM has painkiller substances in it. Maybe he will go back to his old routine once the pain subsides?

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My friend was doing several night feedings, too, and she still wanted to BF, just not all through the night. So, she'd nurse right at bed time, and then say, "Nummers is going night-night. Nummers will be awake again when the sun wakes up." It took only a couple nights of her DS waking up, and her pointing out the window saying, "The sun isn't up yet, so nummers is sleeping." She kept her bedtime and wake up feedings, but was able to night wean this way.

Hope that helps!

I have checked for his molars but I can't feel anything yet.

Last night we fed at 7:30pm; he woke up at 2am and I told him that milk was sleeping. He woke up at 5am and I did bf him (b/c I was afraid he would want to get up and eat if I didnt bf him) and he went back to sleep to 7am. So that works for me! I can do with 10hours of sleep

I think this will work out well for us at bedtime and first thing in the morning.

Kristenco...Had your friend already day weaned? Or did she bf at bedtime, when the sun came up and throughout the day?
    Breastfed for 20months