Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: worried

Default worried

i am in the process of trying to clear up mastitis. mt LO has had several green poops all of a sudden...tjhe rest are nustardy. her poopy and peepee diaper count has been fine. here are my worries:

1. is the green poop ok?
    2. she sucks on my infected breast for 10 min and then gets frustrated like shes not getting anything so i switch sides when shes done i pump to make sure my breasts are empty but i dont get much out.. half oz in 15 min maybe but its still as hard as a rock on 1 side and underneath plus there are red marks on the areas that are in pain...maybe striations?? am i actually emptying my breast? it doesnt look/feel like it.
    3. last time she ate was 7:30am...shes been asleep since 9am and ive been trying to get her to wake up to eat since noon. its almost 1:30pm now! yes ive done all the tricks... diaper change, taking clothes off, tickling her feet, putting an ice pack on her foot for a sec...nothing keeps her awake long enough to eat! (btw, shes 5 weeks old today). what do i do? is she just exhausted from being up most of the night and early morning? im so worried.
    4. im going into urgent care bc the rx the nurse called in for me doesnt seem to be working for my mastitis...fever is gone but the redness, pain, engorgement r getting worse and i feel like i cant empty my breast. am i doing the right thing by going in? suggestions? advice ?

please help a worried 1st time mommy (

Default Re: worried

I have read about certain staff bacteria becoming resistant to types of abx. My own Dr. mentioned as much. Definitely call.

heres the care plan from the web site
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr07p76.html

If:

You see red patches on the breast,
    You feel a hard sore lump in the breast,
    You feel achy and run down,
    You have a low grade fever (less than 38.4°C [101°F]),
    Then:

Continue to feed the baby eight to 12 times each 24 hours from both breasts.
    Rest, drink plenty of fluids, and increase your vitamin C intake.
    Hand express or pump the affected side if the baby does not thoroughly drain that side.
    Use alternate massage (massage and compress the breast and hard area with your fingertips each time baby pauses between sucks).
    Apply heat prior to feedings to promote drainage.
    Ask your health care provider if you can use a medication such as ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation.
    If:

You do not see results or feel better in eight to 24 hours,
    You continue to run a fever or suddenly spike a high fever (38.4°C [101°F] or higher),
    The breast becomes red, hot, and swollen,
    You see pus or blood in the milk,
    You see red streaks on the breast from the areola to the underarm,
    A cracked nipple looks infected,
    You have chills and continue to feel worse,
    Then:

Call your doctor.
    If an antibiotic is prescribed, take the full 10 to 14 day course.
    Rest, drink plenty of fluids, and increase your vitamin C intake.
    Continue to nurse frequently on the affected side (or pump if the baby is unwilling or unable to feed well on that side).
    Use alternate massage and hot compresses on the affected side to help it drain better.
    Use different positions at various feedings to drain all parts of the breast.
    If pain inhibits let-down, nurse on the unaffected breast first then drain breast thoroughly on the affected side.
    Talk with a lactation consultant or La Leche League Leader to help you find out what is causing the mastitis so that it does not recur.

how old is baby?
    how long have you been on the meds?

she is 5 weeks old today and ive been on meds for over 48 hrs.

thx for the advice! keep it coming please!

Try some massage while nursing. This helps break up the lumps or areas that are congested int he breast. Place her on the bed and do some hover nursing. this allows gravity to help drain the breast.

young yet!
    Are you resting?
    thats a big part of getting beter.

have been doing massage...will try hover feeding. thx! resting as much as possible with a newborn! which is not much but thx for your help. went to urgent care and got a shot of stronger meds and new rx. dr said this should start working wiithin 48 hrs.

I hope that gets it cleared up for you mama - keep up with what your doing! Let us know how it goes
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!