Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frustrated with Pumping

Default Frustrated with Pumping

I returned to work three months after my baby was born, he is now six months. I feed my baby before leaving to work and I can only pump twice at work. He gets one or two bottles of formula a day. The first months were working out fine, I was able to pump four to six ounces per session.
    But in the last couple of weeks I have been getting more and more frustrated because now if I am lucky I can get two or three ounces. And if I am really lucky I can manage to squeeze out four ounces in sessions of thirty minutes. All last week and today I wasn't able to get any let downs. I have even tried to manually express my milk hoping that would help. After I am finished pumping I am tired and exhausted. I am relaxed and calm in the begining but towards the end I am just mad. I am even considering not pumping anymore, I go through all that just to get four ounces a day!
    When the baby is with me he seems full and content and on the weekends he is fine also. It's just the pumping that isn't working out. I asked the doctor if it would be ok to stop pumping and he said that as long as he got bm once a day he would be fine.
    Am I doing something wrong, is there a way to fix it or should I just bf in the evenings and on the weekends?

Default Re: Frustrated with Pumping

Hi..I have been frustrated with pumping since I started! I came back to work when ds was 8 weeks old..he is now a little over 4 months old. I have always only been able to get an ounce or two at a time. He gets some formula while I am at work. I just came to terms with that. I dont know about not pumping..I work an odd schedule- 3 days a week/ 11-13 hours a day. So I dont think I could not pump without it affecting my supply. I was worried at first that my lack of output pumping would affect my supply at home, but so far (knock on wood) it hasn't.

It's quite possible that your pump isn't working correctly anymore. What kind of pump are you using?
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I started with the Avent Isis and it was working fine,then I bought the Avent Isis IQ and it didn't work for me! I could never get a let down. So instead I replaced my old pump with the newest parts from this pump and use it manually.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLShannon
    It's quite possible that your pump isn't working correctly anymore. What kind of pump are you using?
    If you exclusinvely pump, about how long do these pumps last? I have the Medela pump in style and use it like 8 - 10 times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by toriandlukesmom
    So I dont think I could not pump without it affecting my supply. I was worried at first that my lack of output pumping would affect my supply at home, but so far (knock on wood) it hasn't.
    Hi, it's good to hear that I am not the only one getting frustrated. I thought I was the only one not being able to pump five to eight ounces a session. Yesterday I took the baby to his Dr.s appt and got in late to work so I only pumped once thinking I would get more out. But that was not the case I manage to squeeze out only four ounces. I am thinking of cutting down to pumping only once to keep the supply going.

At home the baby seems to get full and is happy so luckily my supply hasn't been affected there either.

Quote Originally Posted by Drea1599
    If you exclusinvely pump, about how long do these pumps last? I have the Medela pump in style and use it like 8 - 10 times a day.
    The PIS is meant to be used only PT (3-4 times a day), and only meant to last about 6mos. This info used to be on their website, but I couldn't find it just now.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!