Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: returning to work after maternity leave

Default returning to work after maternity leave

Hello all. First post, so here is my story. My DD was born May 22, so is nearly 9 weeks old. She was born three weeks early, was a small baby, had a high palate and a terrible time latching, and lost too much weight initially. At a (perhaps misguided) nurse's insistance at the hospital (it was formula feeding or the NICU, I was told), we began supplementing with EBM and formula -- first fingerfeeding and then bottlefeeding beginning at about 2 weeks. With the help of an LC, a rigorous pumping schedule, fenugreek and a baby very eager to nurse, we managed to get my supply up, and my baby and I now have a successful - if all-encompassing - nursing relationship. I still supplement with EBM and formula a couple or three times a day - totaling 6-8 oz tops - would like to drop off the formula supplement completely but find it hard since she seems hungry at times after feeding at both breasts (which makes me wonder at times if my supply IS up to par) and I don't have a huge supply of EBM built up so must switch off between the two when supplementing. We seem to have found a happy medium with this arrangement and she feeds so often at this point (12+ times a day - often 15 or so) that I haven't been that worried about my supply dropping due to supplementing. I have been nursing/feeding on demand, since day one. In any case, with this background, here is my dilemma...

I return to work in about three weeks. I plan to continue to BF. My return-to-work schedule will be combined part-time (32 hours) and working from home, as follows: Mondays I'll work from home and my mom will take care of DD, allowing me to nurse as needed. Tuesday I'm at work and baby is in daycare. Wednesday I work from home and baby is in daycare, but since I'll be at home I can drop her off late/pick her up early, and she'll get a short daycare day. Thursday I'm at work and baby's in daycare, and Friday we'll be home together. My problem... I don't know if it's a result of the challening nursing nursing relationship we had at first, but my babe is constantly nursing. She's had a few growth spurts, and I was able to tell the difference between now and then (during the growth spurts, it was *absolutely* constant), but my babe still nurses every hour/hour and a half. Sometimes, she'll nurse herself to sleep and there may be a 2 hour lull between feedings, if only for the nap, but usually this is not the case. She is sleeping through the night now (8 hours), so honestly I've been happy to oblige and let her feed as much as she wants to during the day. However, I'm very nervous as to how things are going to be at daycare for her beginning in just a few weeks, and am wondering if I should stop nursing "on demand" or otherwise do something else to prepare her for how things will be in just a few weeks. DD will never take a bottle before BF, and even now rejects the bottle sometimes. She cries nonstop if I leave the house for an hour or two to run errands, and the only way to calm her frequent evening fussiness is with the breast. But what will happen in a few weeks when I'm not there to calm her? Also, is this normal behavior for a 9 week old, or should her feedings be spaced further apart? She seems to be a sensitive little one, and new people and places seem to stress her out a little. Nursing has always been my "fix" for everything, and now I guess I'm beginning to doubt myself and wondering if we're doing the right thing. Moreover, I'm wondering how she's going to cope in her new surroundings at daycare three days a week, and if there's anything I can do to prepare her now for what I honestly think - based on her temperment and the way we've "done things" to date - might be traumatic for her. Any advice would be so welcomed. By the way, I am definitely planning on continuing nursing when I return to work. I am able to pump pretty well at this point (although based on her feeding I don't get much of a chance currently except for after she's in bed or during the night), but am up to about 3oz at each pumping - sometimes 4oz - which I think is OK.

Default Re: returning to work after maternity leave

Hi and welcome.

First: I too was told to supplement Luke. He took formula EVERY DAY for 11 1/2 weeks. Then he stopped needing it!! I went back to work when he was 8 weeks old. The first few weeks were very hard. He missed me horribly. I was luck enough to have my sister as my nanny. She had to hold him all the time. But it did get better. When I came home from work, he stayed latched on from the minute I got home til the next morning..not joking, he stayed latched the whole time we slept. That lasted maybe 3 or 4 weeks. Good luck!

If you're having to supplement, your supply isn't where it needs to be. The high palate could still be affecting how efficiently she is nursing (hence the almost-constant nursing).

Most daycare providers are familiar with the fact that it can take several weeks for everyone to fall into a routine in daycare. Keep the same routine at home, and once you go back to work, you'll all have to adjust to a new schedule.

You may also find that she's not sleeping through the night anymore after you return to work - it's called reverse cycle nursing if you'd like to look it up. The book "Nursing Mother, Working Mother" addresses many of the concerns you've mentioned, and probably a few you haven't thought of yet.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

thanks to you both... I really appreciate your responses.