Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk supply fluctuates a LOT!!!

Question milk supply fluctuates a LOT!!!

My son is 8 weeks old today. I thought that by 6 weeks that your milk was supposed to be regulated... My milk seems to fluctuate so much. One day it seems I have a ton and then the next I'm having to supplement some. (I'm working on relactating my left breast, right now only getting milk from right breast) When I had my daughter I had to pump exclusively for her and was averaging 40-48 oz per DAY from my right breast only (I could never pump any milk out of my left side). I've been taking fenugreek daily for about 6 weeks. I've been to the milk production hindrances page and the only thing I have on there is that I'm still bleeding a little. (I read that could be a sign of retained placenta) It's very light but I haven't stopped bleeding since giving birth. I mentioned it to my OB at my check up last week and he said it was normal... I'm just wondering why my milk keeps fluctuating and seems to be insufficient some days... He has good growth and dirty and wet diapers plenty. But there are times when I KNOW, and believe me, I really do, that my milk is low... I put him to the breast whenever he wants for as long as he wants, he practically sleeps at night with it in his mouth, lol... could it be the bleeding? Also, can you have a retained piece of placenta when you had a c-section? thanks in advance
    Miranda, married to my best friend, Tony 10/19/02.
    Mommy to beautiful baby girl, Elliotte 5/17/06 and handsome little man, Lane 3/7/08

birth weight: 6 lbs 4.1 oz
    left hossy @: 6 lbs 2 oz
    2 week check: 6 lbs 15 oz
    4 week check: 7 lbs 12 oz
    5 weeks 2 days: 8 lbs 12 oz
    9 weeks: 11 lbs 12 oz
    13 weeks: 13 lbs 13 oz
    19 weeks: 16 lbs 4 oz
    6mths 2wks: 18 lbs 11 oz
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...llanesiggy.jpg

Default Re: milk supply fluctuates a LOT!!!

mama this is very frustrating for you!

You said you had a c-section, do you know if the placenta was delivered intact?
    The Breastfeeding Answer Book says that bleeding after 6 weeks can be a symptom of a retained placenta.
    It has this to say about it's effect on milk supply "If a fragment of the placenta remains in the uterus, the mother's body may react as if she is still pregnant, inhibiting the production of the hormones necessary for establishing a healthy milk supply. If the mother has an unusual amount of postpartum bleeding (more than 500cc), this has been associated with insufficient milk production in the early weeks (Willis and Livingstone 1995). However, even if their milk production gets off to a slow start, with time and effort many of these mothers can produce an abundant milk supply"

Are you getting a good diaper output? That's important to keep an eye on, also what you are doing putting him to the breast as often as possible is great.
    You might consider consulting an IBCLC in your area, and consulting again with your OB about the postpartum bleeding and why you are worried (ie low milk production). You might ask what he considers to be abnormal, or when to call him if it doesn't stop.
    You know your body and your baby best, I really hope you can get this figured out soon!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

ugh... this is STILL going on!!! Only once, rarely twice a week, but it is so frustrating!!!
    I'm still faintly, faintly bleeding.... and sorry if this is TMI but every about every 2 or 3 days when I pee a stringy, fleshy looking thing comes out... I have no idea what it could be. Could it be that they didn't get everything out after my c-section?
    Mommy to beautiful baby girl, Elliotte 5/17/06 and handsome little man, Lane 3/7/08

Get a call into your OB/Midwife mama to see what's going on - sometimes overexerting yourself can cause extra bleeding, but get it checked out for sure!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

here's another reason that makes me think my milk is SUPER low at night... after ds was fussing forever at the breast, acting like he wasn't getting anything, i convinced dh to try and see if he could get anything out and he did it about ten times and said there was only a tiny bit right at first, like a few drops, then nothing even when he sucked really hard.... so I don't know what to do... i'm nursing a ton/on demand during the day and cosleep at night... during these times ds is ONLY calmed down by a bottle...
    what else can I do???
    Last edited by Mirandagrate; May 7th, 2008 at 10:54 PM.

How are his diapers mama? Is he having 5-6 wet diapers a day?
    A lot of women have a lower supply at night, and cluster nursing in the evening is common as well. Are you drinking plenty of water? You could eat oatmeal in the mornings (or anytime really) - also visit the Increasing your Milk board and get some idea's there.
    Are you still having the spotting?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

He has great diaper output during the day. At night (i'm guessing because he's getting used to his days and nights being right??? I don't know) he doesn't go as much.
    I haven't been eating oatmeal... i try, just have a hard time swallowing it... it is not appetizing at all to me right now... Besides regular liquid intake, I've added about an extra half gallon of water a day to what I normally drink. (I pee really clear, lol) I'm taking about 12-14 fenugreek pills a day..
    I'm waiting to hear back from my doctor. I called and talked to their nurse that does consults and stuff.. she wanted to see what he had to say about it so I should hear back from them sometime soon...

Good deal, glad to hear he's having plenty of diapers - your just counting in a 24 hour period. It's ok to go a little longer sometimes!
    If the oatmeal makes you sick, then there are other things to try! Have you seen a difference with the fenugreek?
    Hope you hear back from the dr soon!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

ok, so dr's office just called me back... they said the bleeding was normal but if it continues for two more weeks to call them... so what??? it's normal for 8 1/2 weeks but not 10???

Also, they can't give me anything to help milk production... Dr said they're finding that reglan doesn't work.... ????? why do so many other women use it with success then??? UGH.. I'm aggravated now...

I'm sorry this must be so frustrating. Is it possible for you to talk to another Dr or get a second opinion? Even talking to an IBCLC would be a good!

Hang in there mama!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader