Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dehydrated at night?

Question Dehydrated at night?

Hi,

My daughter is almost 11 months old and has been sleeping through the night since about 4 months old. Currently, her diaper output during the night is causing me concern though.

With the heat wave that been going on, she sweats a lot. In the morning, not only is her diaper pretty light, it is also dark yellow/brownish and smelly. However, her diaper is pretty heavy after 3-4 hours after she wakes up and continues to be clear throughout the day. I have seen this pattern repeat for days now. She poops about once a day and they look normal to me.

Is there something I can do to prevent her nighttime dehydration? I nurse her at about 9 before she sleeps. Then I nurse at about 10.30 or so even though she doesn't wake up for it. In fact, for the past few days, I think she is barely interested in drinking any during the last feed. She wakes up at about 6.30-7 in the morning.

She seems to have no interest in drinking water/juice during the day. I offer her a sippy cup and she barely drinks an ounce or two throughout the day.

Thanks for any help/advice. This website has been really great in answering a lot of my concerns.

-Priya

Default Re: Dehydrated at night?

I have noticed lately that my ds has been having less wet diapers in the mornings also. It is not every day, but it has been a couple of days in the last week. The temp here in Dallas has been well over 100 degrees, so I am wandering the same.

Default Re: Dehydrated at night?

They really are not getting dehydrated if they have enough wet diapers during the day. The urine may get concentrated, but that happens to most of us. We don't generally have clear urine first thing in the morning. You could place a sippy cup with water in her crib and see if she will drink it during the night, but that is pretty much asking her to wake up and drink when it really isn't neccessary, and sleeping through the night is a DREAM ! Try and push fluids during the day, make popcicles with your juice/water combo that she won't drink and she make take that. As long as she pees enough during the day, still has a wet mouth and has tears she isn't dehydrated!