Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Desperate - Pain between feedings

Default Desperate - Pain between feedings

Hello,

I am new here and need help please.

My LO is 8 weeks old and EBF. Since he was born we have been having trouble with nipple pain between feedings. We have seen several lactation consultants and my dr - all have said his latch is fine.

I do not feel any discomfort during feedings - only a burning pain in between, especially when I am wearing a bra (it is not as persistent when going braless). The ped says it is not thrush.

Any ideas? I have to go back to work in a few weeks and I don't know how I can keep this up.

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Desperate - Pain between feedings

Hi mama!

What type of pain? Where is it? In the breast, in the nipple?

Is the nipple misshapen after feeding? White- or blanched? What positions are you using?

Your Dr. said it wasn't thrush? Can you tell us more about how that visit went?

Hello!

Thanks for your reply! Good thing I checked before turning in for the night (gotta catch those zzzz's when you can!)...

The pain is only in the nipple.

As for the nipple being misshapen - maybe a little? I just started noticing that when he comes off there is a little crease on the edge of the nipple that lines up with the edge of where his mouth was on the breast. Does that make sense? It almost looks like it is being pinched a little. I have noticed that the nipple is occasionally white - even after pumping (pumping does not hurt either). I generally use the cradle, sometimes the cross cradle or sidelying. Football doesn't really work for us.

The dr. just asked if I had been on antibiotics and checked the baby's mouth. That is about it.

My ob had not been much of a help either - prescribed me an all purpose nipple ointment, but it didn't seem to be doing much, so I discontinued using it after about a week and a half.

Thanks again for any help - my husband and I REALLY want to make this work. It took us 3 years to have our son and want to do everything we can for him.

rub a bit of milk into your nipple after feeding. Go bra-less when possible. Use Lanolin. It does get better. If latch is good and no thrush, it may just take a while to adjust to all that sucking.

on thrush: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/thrush.html
    a mother may have thrush even if baby does not: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMayJun93p83.html

On vasospasms of the nipple: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

have you called your local leader?

Thank you for the info/advice...

I contacted my ob again to try and get referred out to another LC... This has GOT to get better...

I am very fair/sensitive skinned and my son is a HOOVER! Maybe that has something to do with it?

I had very sore, red nipples at about 6 weeks, and went to my midwife for my postpartum check up. She was very matter of fact, saying "you have a yeast infection in your nipples." It was very painful, and throbbed in between feedings. It wasn't thrush, persay, and the baby had no symptoms. They were "pretty pink" as she stated. She prescribed an "APNO"...all purpose nipple ointment, with lanolin and nystantin (anti-yeast) as part of it. I was to put it on my nipples after each feeding, and it cleared up in a few days. I've saved it, and use it here and there when they get sore or I'm feeling that same feeling again. Maybe you should look into that.

Another thought while you are healing from whatever it is, is feeding on one side at a time...I did this anyway, but that was a recommendation so that each side got a longer break.

Quote Originally Posted by lehall View Post
    rub a bit of milk into your nipple after feeding.
    If you have thrush after all, adding milk into the equation would be counter productive. Thrush loves sugar. This advice is very good for healing normal non-thrush nipple traumas- cuts and the like.

I highly recommend getting a second opinion on whether you may have thrush. You can always bring that article I linked you to into your dr.'s office to share.

I would stress talking to your dr again. I too had severe pain between feedings (both in the nipple and deep in the breast). I went to my OB/GYN and she said everything looked fine. I did some research on my own and read about yeast infection and it described exactly what I felt. I called my dr back and she made some phone calls to other doctors and a LC. They all agreed that my symptons were a yeast infection (my lo had no symptons and my only sympton was pain). My lo and I were both put on nystatin and I was given diflucan. The pain got better - but what has really helped is taking acidophilus (thanks to an article that carpenter girl shared - thanks again!!).

Read over the information that Carpenter Girl sent and if it sounds like what you have then I wouldn't hesitate to talk to your dr again and take some information with you. My OB/GYN knew nothing about the yeast infection symptons until I shared the information with her.

Good Luck!!

Thank you for ALL the responses!

I have not posted as my DH has been in the hospital twice in the last week... Very rough - we are hoping to have him home soon.

I met with a LC on Monday - she was stumped as well. Doesn't think it is thrush, latch looks great, he is taking in a good amount of milk... We did notice that I might be having vasospasms.

She suggested to try the APNO again, some advil, vitamin B6, and breast shells.

Unfortunately things haven't gotten better this week - don't know if it is stress or what...

If anyone has any more ideas or suggestions (on this or keeping my milk supply up during stress), PLEASE let me know!!!

Thanks!