Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast Infection/relactation

Default Breast Infection/relactation

My son is 6 weeks old. After 2 1/2 weeks of breastfeeding I developed a breast infection which had to be surgicaly drained at the hospital. I stopped breasfeeding and pumping completly because it was too painful. I thought I was done with breastfeeding, but am now not sure. I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to begin breastfeeding after such a long delay and how successful it was. I have a perscription for donperidone and was told to pump every 4 hours to try and build up the milk supply. My son is doing fine on formula, but I feel like I should be breastfeeding. Any advice would be great!

Default Re: Breast Infection/relactation

It's not too late!!! I have two inspirational stories for you.

First story: Back in the 80's, my Mom was told to wean my 3 month-old sister for medical reasons. (My Mom's, not my sister's.) By the time she was given the go-ahead to start nursing again, 3 months had passed and my Mom's milk was totally gone. By putting my sis to the breast before giving her a bottle, my Mom was eventually able to relactate, ditch the formula, and nurse my sis until she was 18 months old.

Second story: I have a friend who could not have biological children. She adopted a baby at birth, and nursed him using a supplemental nursing system (SNS). After several weeks of nursing, she produced milk for her son despite never having been pregnant or given birth.

Will your baby still latch on? If so, put him on the breast whenever possible. A suckling baby is a terrific stimulus to your milk supply, and it will help your baby remember how to breastfeed. Using a SNS may also help, as your baby will learn to associate the breast (and not the bottle) with food, and he will stimulate your supply as he feeds from the SNS.

Pumping is a great way to get your supply going again. The more milk you remove, the more you will make, so use the best quality pump you can get. I used both an Ameda Purely-Yours and a rental Medela Lactina when I was trying to increase my supply, and there was just no comparison in effectiveness between the two. The rental hospital-grade pump won hands down. The more frequently you pump, the quicker your supply will return. Every 4 hours is an okay schedule, but if you can find a way to pump more frequently, do it. I pumped every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night.

I've heard good things about domperidone, and I hope that it is effective for you. You may also want to try some herbal remedies- fenugreek, blessed thistle, and oatmeal are all supple enhancers.

Good luck, and come back with any questions!!!